Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
suck up....
Put my name at the top of Buzzard's list!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Well, if Silva is on the card, Dana has to find some way to make the event exciting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Well, if Silva is on the card, Dana has to find some way to make the event exciting.
Maybe he could Box Tito!!!

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well in the big picture I doubt this is something that Matt cares much about so I really don't either...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nice, this is a decent drive from my house (maybe 8 hours).
Going to have to hit up this one as well!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
that would be really disrespectful to put the only champion on the card as a co-main event. i think it would make the UFC look bad to people who are new to the sport... and to people who aren't new to the sport, as well
I agree. The only way that a championship fight is gonna co-main event a ppv is if there is another title fight on the same card. Aside from that the title fight should, and will, be the main event. Just look at the last card that had Matt and Anderson on it. Anderson's title fight was the main event with Penn v Edgar as the co-main event. Assuming they dont add any other major fights to this card there is no reason why Matt's fight will not be co-main event though.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post


And so the wedgie continues...
Bonnie, lol!! No moss growing on you, girl!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2010, 02:03 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I don't think so.

People who are new to the sport don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, to be quite honest.

Titles are great, but it's the name and legacy that comes after you win and defend titles that defines "Main Event" status in my opinion. I don't think there is ANY card that has Matt Hughes name on it that he is NOT part of the "Main Event" in my personal opinion. Even the haters still want to see what happens next in Matt Hughes career, so they buy the fights too. Also, something I think should be noted that isn't mentioned much on these forums is the fact that Matt Hughes has a TON of fans who support him and buy his fights that have never even SEEN this forum. He is a true legend and no belt can make or break that at this point. Matt Hughes is as much of an attraction as just about any of the top fighters today, belt or no belt.
Woot! Nice post, JB!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,946
Default

The UFC follow a liturgical order. This means the more important you are, the later your fight appears on the card. Now, the main event is not about Anderson Silva, it is about the Middleweight Championship. The belt, the Crown is always the most important thing.

They have however put Hughes on the card, and you watch, when they are not so happy with the fighters in the main event, they will always put a few fighters on the card that they can trust.

Matt Hughes is their to carry the card in the likely event that Anderson Silva cant manage it. Do you not remember the event just after both Franklin and Hughes had lost their championships...and there was injury and refusal to fight, and before you know it...Franklin and Hughes were plopped into the card...because at the end of the day the inistution knows that they can be trusted.

Hughes is kinda of beyond main event...that is to say, even if you put his name at the bottom of the card, he doesnt need to be atop of the card to get his status...its in his name. This happens when you have a very famous fighter who is begining to make the transition from a famous ufc fighter...to a famous fighter in his own right, completely aside from the UFC...its the difference between Champion, and Legend...a legend is free of the restraints placed upon a champion. Matt Hughes hasnt stopped fighting yet, but he is free of a lot of the restraints that a Champion has placed on him, Hughes doesnt need to be main event because he's a future Legend...unlike most, he's effectively as powerful in notority as, not a Champion...but the actual belt a Champion wears. He is not fighting in the institution, he is becoming a part of its infrastructure....in fifty years time, people will still remember Matt Hughes and thats what I mean....like Royce Gracie...part of the spirit of the person has kinda left an imortal impression on the institution...and before you say its todo with the Hall of Fame...nope...its not....not all in that club are Legends and I can think of at least one Legend who isnt in that club.

Not all Champions become Legends...Legends in the true sense of the word, dont do anything, they just exist, because they have done all the needs to be done prior. True Legends in the fight world dont fight anymore, just like true legends of old werent really considered legends until they had died.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.