Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM
jason2130

Default replacing blue-ray laser in PS3

anyone have experience with this topic? or replacing lasers in any sort of dvd/blueray/cd players? i would imagine its semi similar

watched Avatar on blueray in my ps3, bout halfway into it it froze and now no blue ray disc play (movie or PS3 games) but dvds, music, and PS2 games play fine, games on the hard drive play fine

$150 to mail it to sony and im not guaranted to get my PS3 back which i find disturbing since mine has a 300gig hard drive i installed, 4 USB ports instead of the normal 2, and plays PS2 games (which it seems alot of other people claim their newer PS3s dont play ps2 games)

im seeing alot of people get a PS3 slim mailed back to them and i like my fat elite one

im seeing lasers for $30-$50 and they claim its simple replacment, but nothing is ever simple when it comes to me fixing anything

any help or suggestions would be great, if you are electronically gifted in anyway and have a minute to look at the video to give me your thoughts 2m20secs into it is where i worry, it looks simple enough but... then theres me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJAhl2cb6iU
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
anyone have experience with this topic? or replacing lasers in any sort of dvd/blueray/cd players? i would imagine its semi similar

watched Avatar on blueray in my ps3, bout halfway into it it froze and now no blue ray disc play (movie or PS3 games) but dvds, music, and PS2 games play fine, games on the hard drive play fine

$150 to mail it to sony and im not guaranted to get my PS3 back which i find disturbing since mine has a 300gig hard drive i installed, 4 USB ports instead of the normal 2, and plays PS2 games (which it seems alot of other people claim their newer PS3s dont play ps2 games)

im seeing alot of people get a PS3 slim mailed back to them and i like my fat elite one

im seeing lasers for $30-$50 and they claim its simple replacment, but nothing is ever simple when it comes to me fixing anything

any help or suggestions would be great, if you are electronically gifted in anyway and have a minute to look at the video to give me your thoughts 2m20secs into it is where i worry, it looks simple enough but... then theres me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJAhl2cb6iU
While it's not that hard of a fix, if you are not experienced in breaking down the machine, or don't have anybody who is, you can completely ruin the system. You are better off sending it to Sony (you will get it back), or finding a reputable local person who can service it for you, if you don't trust your hands.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post

I would think that, since the PS3 is still playing non-Blu-Ray media, then the laser must be working properly. It's got to be a software related problem.

I've actually heard of that problem with a lot of Blu-Ray players and the Avatar disc. I think they say that it can be fixed by downloading some updates for your Blu-Ray player firmware; but I'm not sure how that would work on a PS3.

Here's the Yahoo article about it:
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...watch-DVD.html
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
logrus

I learned from my last two Ps2 to never play a DvD in them, I wont even play one in my 360.

Like Nate said I been reading a lot about firmware issues with all media devices, Not only Ps3 but other Blu Ray players, Even my sisters computers has to be updated all the time.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM
jason2130

Thanks for the responses!

J.B. when i find out for sure the laser needs replaced im gonna try and find someone more electronically inclined than me then, thanks for that insight

NateR thanks for finding me something else to try before dismantleing my PS3, i call sony and they say its the laser for sure but ya feel like they arent even listening just trying to get that $150 to mail it in, if i try on a PS3 message board i get flamed by 2-3 people then 2-3 others defend me, then they argue for 6 pages as to why they flame people and the question i ask never even comes up

logrus i knew that with my PS2 also, for some reason i thought avatar on blueray would be better to rent than normal avatar, 1rst blueray movie in my PS3 and the last from now on