Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
IMO they owe it because we pay the bills.
Without fans they don't get to fight for a living.
That would be a great way to threaten the fighters into fighting the way you personally find most exciting, but the problem with that view is the fans aren't going anywhere. It's been this way for literally hundreds of years going back to the early days of prize fighting. The core group of fans who love the sport enough to sit on a message board and talk about it, like us, are not going to stop buying the product.

I know you say that you can be exciting and not fight stupid, but the problem is that the minute BJ Penn or Shogun don't finish a fight, there is going to be fans who call them boring too. That's why I say fans are fickle and a lot of them shouldn't even call themselves fans of the actual sport of MMA rather than just fans of a few aspects of the sport.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That would be a great way to threaten the fighters into fighting the way you personally find most exciting, but the problem with that view is the fans aren't going anywhere. It's been this way for literally hundreds of years going back to the early days of prize fighting. The core group of fans who love the sport enough to sit on a message board and talk about it, like us, are not going to stop buying the product.

I know you say that you can be exciting and not fight stupid, but the problem is that the minute BJ Penn or Shogun don't finish a fight, there is going to be fans who call them boring too. That's why I say fans are fickle and a lot of them shouldn't even call themselves fans of the actual sport of MMA rather than just fans of a few aspects of the sport.
Oh I agree, people need to be less fickle, and you're right,
the true fans will complain a little but still love the sport no matter what.

The one thing that makes me mad about MMA are the fans who love a guy one day and hate him the next day.
Whiner, excuse maker, lazy man, whatever, I am a BJ penn fanatic for life lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Oh I agree, people need to be less fickle, and you're right,
the true fans will complain a little but still love the sport no matter what.

The one thing that makes me mad about MMA are the fans who love a guy one day and hate him the next day.
Whiner, excuse maker, lazy man, whatever, I am a BJ penn fanatic for life lol.
Exactly, and that is how it should be. If you are a fan of something or somebody, you should take all the good with the bad and accept it as part of the deal. Obviously it is very exciting to watch two guys stand and bang until somebody gets KO'd, but I just think that fans expect that too often in a sport that is designed to have a lot of different potential outcomes. If every fight was a KO, it would kind of cheapen it in a way and eventually that too would become boring.

I just had the chance to read Kevin Iole's article over at Yahoo and it really irritates me that people who have the ear of so many fans, like Iole does, can go out of their way to cater to this nonsensical idea of being "owed" a certain result in an athletic competition. This is something that is typical of sports writers in general though, because they need to write about something interesting and cynicism definitely sells, just like knockouts do. The only difference is that it's easy to be a cynic, but it's a lot harder to knock somebody out.

Here is a brief excerpt from his article I would like to comment on. This isn't directed at anybody here, but rather Kevin Iole and this article...
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...gerashad052910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Iole
The fight was a letdown after literally months of over-the-top trash talking from both men. It was a tactical, technical affair that would have been a perfectly acceptable match had it been stuck in the middle of a card somewhere.

After all the trash these men talked, through a season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” three episodes of a preview show, during a circus-like conference call, throughout innumerable media appearances and on their personal Twitter accounts, Evans’ unanimous decision before a sellout crowd of 15,081 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday was clearly a letdown.

Listening to the booing from an angry crowd that was there to watch someone get concussed, it was almost like being at one of Anderson Silva’s recent middleweight title fights.
So, because it was a tactical technical affair it wasn't worthy of Main Event status? How come Iole didn't say that after Floyd Mayeather beat Shane Mosley? He touted quite openly that Mayweather vs Mosley had lived up to the hype. What made that fight live up to the hype and not this one? There was only one time when anybody got hurt in that fight, and it was when Floyd got rocked for like 15 seconds in the second round, and the rest of the fight was a tactical stick-up job by Mayweather, again going to a decision. So, using Iole's own logic, how is that supposed to be more exciting than what we saw last night? Here is the kicker, the fight between Mayweather and Mosley had 10 years of hype behind it! 10 years!!!

He also is empowering the knuckle-head fans who deserve to be slapped silly for suggesting that it is acceptable to want to see somebody get seriously hurt or "concussed" as he put it. People that want to see that are sick and the herd of MMA fans would be better served if those people were thinned out. It's no different than people who want to see a QB get taken out, or find crashes in NASCAR to be "exciting". For a guy who has covered the sport of Boxing as long as he has, he should understand how real the fact is that PEOPLE CAN BE KILLED. There should be no merit or credence given to anybody who calls themselves a fan but cheers for such things.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-31-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Sorry to be nasty people but please say we do not have the same cretins on here that were in the crowd booing.

i was tense and excited throughout the entire Rashas V Rampage fight. Both nearly knocked eachother out and both gave it their all.

The fact is when people with great skill and talent face off they will cancel eachother out. And i expect some appreciation for the technical skills, posistioning, heart, cardio and not just throwing punches.

Its a two-way street - we pay to see them, they get paid by us, they need to turn up but they are not pieces of meat that you can demand blood and guts off.

I enjoyed the fight and I cared about it. I am just sad Rampage didn't take it home.

oh and Bisping looked good, whatever anyone's thoughts he does deserve his place and he continues to fight and seeks to fight big fighters.