Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-14-2010, 02:29 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Need some medical advice

So I've been training BJJ & MT for the past week & a half now. I've got no problem with the soreness & stuff (I mean, I'm sore, I just don't mind it), but I'm paranoid as aw-get-out about Staph. I come straight home after practice & immediately take a shower, scrubbing myself all over, leaving no inch unwashed.

Here's problem: I developed a blister on the underside joint of my right big toe. I didn't even realize I had a blister until I was taping up my other toe (didn't want a busted nail catching on a gi & ripping), and by then it was already opened. I scrubbed it a lot last night in the shower (stung like a witch! ), but after spending all day in a sweaty shoe at work today, when I got home, it was leaking a very watery discharge with what looked like some pus in it.

Here's my question: should I train again tomorrow? I really want to, but since I've got an "open wound", I also don't wanna risk getting anywhere near staph. Could any of the long time nurses/gym rats around here offer me some advice? I don't wanna miss out on training!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
So I've been training BJJ & MT for the past week & a half now. I've got no problem with the soreness & stuff (I mean, I'm sore, I just don't mind it), but I'm paranoid as aw-get-out about Staph. I come straight home after practice & immediately take a shower, scrubbing myself all over, leaving no inch unwashed.

Here's problem: I developed a blister on the underside joint of my right big toe. I didn't even realize I had a blister until I was taping up my other toe (didn't want a busted nail catching on a gi & ripping), and by then it was already opened. I scrubbed it a lot last night in the shower (stung like a witch! ), but after spending all day in a sweaty shoe at work today, when I got home, it was leaking a very watery discharge with what looked like some pus in it.

Here's my question: should I train again tomorrow? I really want to, but since I've got an "open wound", I also don't wanna risk getting anywhere near staph. Could any of the long time nurses/gym rats around here offer me some advice? I don't wanna miss out on training!
Cut the dam thing off, Sissy and get on with it, oh after you cut it of take a red hot poker, well you get the ideal.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 AM

Don't worry about it. Wash it out with peroxide and tape it real good. just keep an eye on it.

[
Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Cut the dam thing off, Sissy and get on with it, oh after you cut it of take a red hot poker, well you get the ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Don't worry about it. Wash it out with peroxide and tape it real good. just keep an eye on it.
I gotta be honest, Mark, Danny's idea sounds like it'll be a better story to tell the ladies!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Silverback

Quote:
I gotta be honest, Mark, Danny's idea sounds like it'll be a better story to tell the ladies!
Yes, the chick's dig it
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Then be a real man and sprinkle a little gunpowder on it!

[
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 AM
mscomc

I have had that kind of stuff happen before.

I always just apply polysporin or some other topical antibiotic that you can get over the counter at the pharmacy, and wrap it, and apply a new dressing and new medicine once a day for about 3 days.

The peroxide will work too, but that stings like a mofo.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 AM
philips4

Just get wrestling shoes to wear until its healed! Good investment then you can wear them every time you cut your foot open, break toes, etc...... or I do like cutting the toe off idea too, both are good suggestions.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Then be a real man and sprinkle a little gunpowder on it!
Then do it right, in this order, 1-chop off said toe, 2-sprinkle said toe,(the one that hurt's like a mofo)with gunpowder, 3-stick red hot poker to said toe,(remember, the said toe that hurts like a mofo) 4-big bottle Whiskey,fill shot glass up, take filled shot glass throw on toe, then down rest of bottle, for pain, good shape in about 3 days. (I am sure Dr. Tonya will sign off on this)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't keep using peroxide, it can hurt new cells and delay healing. It might not be a bad idea to take a break for 2 days or so and let your body heal and your wound close up a little before going back. I've never seen a tape job on a toe that stays on during an entire practice. I know I wouldn't want to deal with a partner who wipes his open wound on me when we grapple.

I recommend going to the pharmacy or even Walmart if it's closer and buying a bottle of hibiclens. When you do go train again, make sure you wash the blister with that afterwards until it's healed. You can just squirt a little hibiclens on your blister while you are in the shower and use your fingers to wash the area. Don't scrub too hard, just keep it clean. Then during the day, keep it dry with a good bandage job.

If it isn't healing properly, gets red all around it, develops red streaks going towards your foot, you develop fever, the pus starts to smell really foul, etc then you need to seek medical attention.

~Amy