Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Default Which UFC fighters have gotten immediate title rematch?

The BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar IMMEDIATE rematch got me thinking. What fighters that have lost the belt have gotten an immediate rematch with who beat them for the belt? The only situation that comes close is Machida and Shogun, only Machida didn't lose the belt. But we all know about that situation. But what guy that actually lost the title got an immediate rematch?

Hughes lost to BJ after defending the belt 5 times. He didn't get an immediate rematch.

Hughes lost to GSP in his second title run. He didn't get an immediate rematch

Rich Franklin did not get an immediate rematch after his title run and lost to Anderson Silva.

Chuck Liddell did not get an immediate rematch of Rampage after defending his title four times.

Tim Sylvia did not get an immediate rematch after his title run.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 AM
logrus

Couture got one coming out of retirement, and he lost his last fight.

Rua got an immediate rematch as well.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Just to be clear, Randy got an immediate rematch against Belfort when he lost the LHW title to him, but Randy had NOT retired and he had already beaten Belfort once before, which made the third match their tie-breaker.

When Randy came out of retirement, he DID get an immediate title shot at HW, but that was not a rematch.

I don't have a problem with immediate rematches, although they have been shunned over time by a lot of the fight community.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
rearnakedchoke

Rampage was going to be given an immediate shot at Forrest, but he went postal ... so the lesson is, close fights warrant a rematch ... i think this is the best fight out there ... and florian should fight maynard for the number one spot ...
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Max

AA got one when he lost to Sylvia.

And although they are not rematches there have been times when a fighter has lost and then gotten a title fight in his next fight.

Tito lost to Frank Shamrock and the his next fight was against Wandy for the title.

Randy lost to Branett and his next fight was against Rodriguez for the title
Then his very next fight after that was for the LHW title against Chuck

A lot of it comes down to how you lose the title. If you get finished its hard to give an immediate rematch. If its a close dec its much more likely to happen
Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
AA got one when he lost to Sylvia.

And although they are not rematches there have been times when a fighter has lost and then gotten a title fight in his next fight.

Tito lost to Frank Shamrock and the his next fight was against Wandy for the title.

Randy lost to Branett and his next fight was against Rodriguez for the title
Then his very next fight after that was for the LHW title against Chuck

A lot of it comes down to how you lose the title. If you get finished its hard to give an immediate rematch. If its a close dec its much more likely to happen
in the case of sylvia/ arlovski it was because they were the only two hw's in the hw division that were even top 10... The lw division is stacked as far as title contenders go. Most of those rematches happened in very weak divisions
Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Hughes lost to BJ after defending the belt 5 times. He didn't get an immediate rematch.

Hughes lost to GSP in his second title run. He didn't get an immediate rematch

Rich Franklin did not get an immediate rematch after his title run and lost to Anderson Silva.

Chuck Liddell did not get an immediate rematch of Rampage after defending his title four times.

Tim Sylvia did not get an immediate rematch after his title run.
None of those were even close. Why would they warrant immediate rematches?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 AM
StizzoFoShizzo

I would support a championship clause that would give the champion an immediate rematch if he has defended the belt more than 4 or 5 times before losing. If a champ defends his belt 5 times successfully and then gets beat, IMO it wouldn't matter how he lost, he should still deserve a rematch. But if you only have one title fight then lose, you can get to the back of line. I know it's WWEish but i wouldn't mind.

Last edited by StizzoFoShizzo; 04-24-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM

I support rematches, but immediate rematches to me seem....weird. I'm not a boxing fan at all. I like BJ a lot, but do not understand the thought behind an immediate rematch. Have him face someone else, and have Frankie fight Gray and then BJ gets the winner. That I understand.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Baby Jay ran to ...

opps excuse me....

Baby Jay went to another company (K1 was it?) And didn't fight in the UFC for something like two years.. and was stripped of his title ..Even had the nerve to sue to keep the UFC from naming a new WW champ...

Not that I am hatin' on Baby Jay for that or anything..