Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Chris Wescott

This is one of the most powerful passages for me.

"5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."

He humbled himself and became obedient to death
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place...

WOW!

Jesus embraced the very lowest of stations. Jesus proved his pure obediance to God, his Father and accepted his fate.

What did he get from the free will choices? exaltation to the highest place. Obviously I want to live a live like that of my Lord Jesus. So I always challenge myself. Could I do that? When it is my turn to show my absolute obediance to my Lord, will I?

If I believe in God, if I believe in Jesus, then the answer must be yes. I almost want this challenge now. To show Jesus that I am ready and that I believe in him and embrace him as my Lord.

"continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. "

Reassuring that it is OK to have fear in letting go of selfish ambitions and following the Lord. It is scary. As I try to grow closer to God through Jesus, it is scary. To me, Christianity is how you live and breathe. I know that the path I am on is life transforming and it is scary.

"14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe "

Like I said in the beginning this book is profound to me. I am not the obediant type. But if I were to obey, it would be to Jesus. Jesus I trust with my life.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:55 AM
TheDotComKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Alright guys and gals part of a bible study is accountability and discussion. So start posting slackers. Weekend is almost over.
I would like to start by apologizing for being so late with my response due to cpu problems(had to take it in for repair) and thanks to Chris F for the motivational push

In Philippians chapter 1 I think Paul and Timothy are asking us to do what we are all doing on this forum.For all of us Christians to stick together standing side by side with one strong purpose-to tell the good news.Paul and Timothy also remind us that no one and nothing can hold us back if we have true faith in God and that we should always stay optimistic and have no fear because this life is short but our other life is eternal.Sry this wasnt longer but but Im not the best writer and I find it hard to express myself on paper or the cpu.Ill be back soon to share my thoughts in another short post about chapter 2 lol
Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDotComKid
I would like to start by apologizing for being so late with my response due to cpu problems(had to take it in for repair) and thanks to Chris F for the motivational push

In Philippians chapter 1 I think Paul and Timothy are asking us to do what we are all doing on this forum.For all of us Christians to stick together standing side by side with one strong purpose-to tell the good news.Paul and Timothy also remind us that no one and nothing can hold us back if we have true faith in God and that we should always stay optimistic and have no fear because this life is short but our other life is eternal.Sry this wasnt longer but but Im not the best writer and I find it hard to express myself on paper or the cpu.Ill be back soon to share my thoughts in another short post about chapter 2 lol
You can't help cpu problems or service issues. the important part is that you read His Word. I t is always better late then never I suppose. Besides I should practice what I preach, I have been slacking on chater 2 so thank you for the push.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I promise I shall give my reflections on chapter two tommorow afternoon
Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I'm sorry guys...I spent so long in the Mormon thread that I've run out of time. But I will certainly do it tommorow lunchtime

I know its not when I said I would...but at least I'm talking in the other thread about The Bible
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Chapter Two

Verses 1-4

Paul is talking about Community. He lists a set of experiences which are desired by the Chuch (Consolation for Hardship, Comfort through Love, Fellowship in Spirit, happiness through empathy and understanding) Then tells the Church how those can be obtained.

Sharing in the same Love by having one united goal, which all can aggree upon as being the root of progression. Caring for others in a pastoral sense, and paying attention to the situation and circumstances of others.

He points out that argument, and vanity can be stumbling blocks and adds extra motivation. Since the church is heavily relient upon Paul he tells them how happy it would make him, if they did these things "Fulfill ye my joy"

Verses 4-11

A short diologue on Unity within the Trinity personalities, particularly on the aspect of Christ becoming part of the Created Order, and voluntarily aggreeing to experience all the negatives of such a feat. A manner which is terribly unbecoming for who he actually was. Traditional Monarchs do not make themselves subjects.

He hints that because of the glory that a re-united Trinity expressed after asscension-tide. The same is available to all Humans who move towards being Christlike. Its a very simple form of Bribery. If you want the reward, try to put into action what is being suggested.

Verses 12-18

I strongly suspect that this was one of Pauls last letters to this particular Church before receiving Sentance. It is written as a kind of commission that could be used as a final statement for one approaching death. Its as if he's writing...just in case he happens to die.

He commands the church to "work out your own salvation" that is not about work in terms of deeds...the emphasis is on "own" its like a Mother telling her Child, its time to leave the next and fend for itself. He is also largely casting them back on GOD alone and not seemingly handing them over to anyone else. Simply promising that if He should die, GOD will take care of them.

The urge is to continue in spite of what might happen to him by " a crooked and perverse Nation" This is very much telling them what to do upon hearing that he has been martyred I reckon. Although he's pretty sure it wont happen, he isnt as Certain as he made out in the first Chapter. This is an Epilogue. In fact the close is much like a Prayer out of the Book of Common Prayer used in the Funerial Sentances. Paul asks that they do this so that upon Judgement, he may look back and see that what he perecieves to be the meaning of His Life, is realized. He may also be subtly asking for prayer after he has died...Holding forth the word of Life (that I may rejoice in the day of Christ) Pray for my salvation upon my Death?

Verses 19-30

I havent got a clue what he is talking about. I know his best friend...but the thing with the guy who got Ill and nearly died eh
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Chris Wescott

Default No study last weekend?

Hey folks, no study last weekend?

I'm getting a lot out of it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Robertboxerboy

Alright well i will not lie, o am not the best at reading my bible. so we need to get this study back up and running again so i have something to oush me, the MH community! I am not the expert on the bible so I will let someone else decide what book we will start to read....
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
BamaGrits84

I wish I got in on thsiw hen it started. It's great for Christians to encourage each other to study God's word. I love writing short articles on passages that really speak to me. I think it would be better to use smaller sections than an entire chapter. I think we should start in Matthew and go through the New Testament. I'll be glad to start it back up.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I wish I got in on thsiw hen it started. It's great for Christians to encourage each other to study God's word. I love writing short articles on passages that really speak to me. I think it would be better to use smaller sections than an entire chapter. I think we should start in Matthew and go through the New Testament. I'll be glad to start it back up.
Feel free to do so and maybe other will follow suit. Sadly only contreversial threads seem to generate any sort of discourse.

As for Matthew- What do you think is the point behind mentioning the genealogy besides the fact Matthew was written to Jews and this sort things was important. Can we glean anything of an application of sorts from this. I will reserve my opinions till I hear from some others. I preached on it once and was very fulfilled from it and am curious if any other person took away the same thing I did.

Last edited by Chris F; 04-21-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added more