Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,668
Default

Glad you made it through, Amy. A guy my husband works with tried it and apparently was overcome by the heat and began to pass out, fell forward and ended up with a minor black eye.

I wouldn't mind trying regular yoga, but don't think I'd do well in the "hot" class. I've never liked saunas--always felt like I couldn't breathe; I imagine it might feel like that. Our dentist (a guy) goes to the hot class and loves it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What is the benefit of keeping the room so hot and humid? Other than making it harder to get through the class, I'm not sure how it would be any better for you. I actually worry that it's worse for you because you'll end up dehydrated.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,668
Default

I just googled the benefits of "hot" yoga. Apparently, there are quite a few benefits to the different systems of our body. Seems to have to do with the humidity/moisture in the air, our core temperature and how our body adjusts to the heated environment during exercise--how it transmitts the heat away from our core via our skin through sweating. Some benefits: Warms up the muscles and tissues allowing for better flexibility and endurance, cardiovascular, detoxifies, just to name a few. Hope I got the gist of it.

But there are things they suggest you should do to keep hydrated before and during the class.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Black Mamba
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wow, 90 minute yoga class. I've been doing 75 minutes classes...but what's another 15 minutes.

I'll have to research first if it's safe to do hot yoga with high BP. If not, then I won't do it. I've been doing yoga on and off for 4 years, recently been going full force for school credit. I love it! Especially, chavanasa (sp?) the end part.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
What is the benefit of keeping the room so hot and humid? Other than making it harder to get through the class, I'm not sure how it would be any better for you. I actually worry that it's worse for you because you'll end up dehydrated.

Bonnie pretty much covered it. Really as a nurse I worry about unhealthy people trying it out since the heat is not easy to overcome in there. I am not usually a sweaty person but I was pouring sweat and dripping all down my legs even. I'm not sore today and they say it's because the heat made my muscles more limber. I worry that I didn't work hard enough, I always feel good when I'm sore from a workout.

You really have to hydrate before the class. You are allowed 2 short water breaks during class but are not to leave the room. (You carry water) And you have to replenish after class meaning the sodium and other electrolytes you lose when you sweat that much along with more water.

I dunno. I am not going tonight. I haven't been sleeping much lately and it's added up and I feel like crap. Plus work has been nuts since we're severely short handed right now. So I'll go tomorrow and see how it feels on day 2 of hot yoga.


~Amy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
Wow, 90 minute yoga class. I've been doing 75 minutes classes...but what's another 15 minutes.

I'll have to research first if it's safe to do hot yoga with high BP. If not, then I won't do it. I've been doing yoga on and off for 4 years, recently been going full force for school credit. I love it! Especially, chavanasa (sp?) the end part.
I have low to normal BP and there were times my whole body was pounding with my heart so maybe it isn't for those with high BP. I dunno. I LOVE regular yoga but haven't kept up with it as much as I should. I just don't push myself when I'm practicing at home alone. And yeah, death pose is one of my faves as well. Figures you'd like it, just from the name alone.

~Amy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Glad you made it through, Amy. A guy my husband works with tried it and apparently was overcome by the heat and began to pass out, fell forward and ended up with a minor black eye.

I wouldn't mind trying regular yoga, but don't think I'd do well in the "hot" class. I've never liked saunas--always felt like I couldn't breathe; I imagine it might feel like that. Our dentist (a guy) goes to the hot class and loves it.
I like the heat and have always loved saunas. I think you'd like regular yoga and the benefits of it would be great for you at this point in time.


~Amy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I like the heat and have always loved saunas. I think you'd like regular yoga and the benefits of it would be great for you at this point in time.


~Amy
My breathing has definitely improved since December when I started my reconditioning, Amy. It's something I will always have to keep up with or I will go backwards. Maybe now would be a good time to try yoga and see how I like it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Black Mamba
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I have low to normal BP and there were times my whole body was pounding with my heart so maybe it isn't for those with high BP. I dunno. I LOVE regular yoga but haven't kept up with it as much as I should. I just don't push myself when I'm practicing at home alone. And yeah, death pose is one of my faves as well. Figures you'd like it, just from the name alone.

~Amy
I try not to have favorites in yoga, but nothing beats the death pose. I'm not sure if you'd tried this or not, but for a good modification to the death pose I recommend this: roll up your mat, lay it flat in the vertical position, measure out roughly a fist distance apart, and then lay down. It gives a gentle backbend that feels awesome.

I semi push myself at home, but not much. Maybe practice a few poses, I'm trying to master a full blown head stand, but can only do a modified one. There's a yoga show on a health channel that has 30 min yoga routines that are sweet. But some of the shows are pretty advanced. The spring wind series is something I recommend, but only after a good 5 min warm up.

Ohhhh and I got another pose that really sweet (forgot the name though): first get into the pigeon, then place a block down for your head. From there bring your torso all the way down. After that gently twist your torso, and if you can, bring your hands into a prayer position with the top hand/arm/shoulder facing up.

I've just recently tried that, and it another awesome status pose.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm waiting for hot, naked yoga. Of course, the keyword hot - meaning the women need to be hot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.