Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Cutting AS would be the biggest mistake of his career.
Hand SF/Dream a MW who isn't losing and is VERY well known, good job.
I'd love to see that! UFC has monopolized for long enough...time for some new blood to get more of the action.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 AM
donaldbreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

What

Anderson Silva/Forrest Griffin was..."corrupt" meaning..staged No...I dont think its possible to stage a KO quite like that
Dude Silva didn't really hurt Griffin. If he would have hurt Griffin. Griffin wouldn't have been able to run out the ring like that and get past the doctors. To me that fight was not right. even the days after the fight with all the speculation on what happened to F.G. I can't prove it but I think some fights are staged. I do however think that Dana or the F. Brothers have nothing to do with it. I still think Forest takes Silva any day of the week.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
Dude Silva didn't really hurt Griffin. If he would have hurt Griffin. Griffin wouldn't have been able to run out the ring like that and get past the doctors. To me that fight was not right. even the days after the fight with all the speculation on what happened to F.G. I can't prove it but I think some fights are staged. I do however think that Dana or the F. Brothers have nothing to do with it. I still think Forest takes Silva any day of the week.
There was no fix in that fight in my opinion. Griffin got dropped 3 times and got caught doing exactly what Silva wants guys to do when he rushed in recklessly.

However, this proves my point that Dave (Tyburn) ignored when trying to disparage the sport of Boxing with absolutely no background knowledge. These sports are the same in terms of business and it's mainstream fanbase, and there are always going to be people who view the sport as corrupt just because of it's nature. Even when there is no actual proof of corruption in an individual fight, just because of the nature of the business somebody can always say "the fix is in" and there will be people who will believe it.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 AM
donaldbreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
There was no fix in that fight in my opinion. Griffin got dropped 3 times and got caught doing exactly what Silva wants guys to do when he rushed in recklessly.

However, this proves my point that Dave (Tyburn) ignored when trying to disparage the sport of Boxing with absolutely no background knowledge. These sports are the same in terms of business and it's mainstream fanbase, and there are always going to be people who view the sport as corrupt just because of it's nature. Even when there is no actual proof of corruption in an individual fight, just because of the nature of the business somebody can always say "the fix is in" and there will be people who will believe it.
At the end of the day J.B we still have to remember this is a business. People are not always innocent and some are about money more than pride. This stuff does happen. It happened with Liston and Ali. Liston went down without actually getting hit. I'm not saying the UFC is rigged but a few fights can be called before the bell sounds.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
At the end of the day J.B we still have to remember this is a business. People are not always innocent and some are about money more than pride. This stuff does happen. It happened with Liston and Ali. Liston went down without actually getting hit. I'm not saying the UFC is rigged but a few fights can be called before the bell sounds.

I hear ya, you don't gotta tell me about fixed fights, I am well aware of what goes on. It has happened in MMA and the early days of the UFC and we know it for a fact. As they say, what's done in the dark will be brought to the light, and typically when the fix is in, especially in a major fight, the public eventually finds out. Remember, both Boxing and MMA are regulated by the government. Fixing fights is taken very seriously and people can end up behind bars for a long time

Replay proves that Liston DID get hit, but weather Liston really took a dive or not is still up for debate in some circles. In that case there was speculation that Liston had bet against himself and owed the mafia money, but Liston himself later claimed that he lost on purpose because he was afraid of retaliation from Muslim extremists who supported Ali.

In the Silva/Griffin fight, I don't see that fight being a work. The last punch that ended the fight was a clean counter punch that landed right on the button, Griffin may have continued for another few seconds, but if Anderson pounced on him it would have been all over. The ref made the right call to step in before Griffin took any extra punishment.