Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Would like more protein in my diet

I'm a very picky eater, but would like something during lunch to up my protein. Something VERY easy to throw together in the morning before work.

I'm thinking of some type of nuts. However, I'm wary of nuts only because there are a lot out there that seem unhealthy such as the mixes with dried fruit with sugar all over it. And I don't want to go overboard with the fat content.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand I could look for when shopping for some nuts that are natural with nothing else added? Something that would be healthy to have on a daily basis.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:34 AM
County Mike

I boil a dozen eggs at a time and take one or two to work with me each day. (In a small cooler bag to keep them cold.) I also take some orange juice mixed with protein powder.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Robertboxerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I also take some orange juice mixed with protein powder.
Sounds disgusting!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 AM
logrus

A couple Tuna packets, no water no mess open it up and eat it. You could all do what CM said and throw a couple hard boils in there as well. Could also just drain the water out of the tuna can in the morning.

Other then that there really arent many easy choices for protein other then the drinks. Consider cooking up a bunch of of chicken breast and playing with that. Mix it with brown rice, throw it on a salad, make a buffalo chicken wrap.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 AM
gymcoach97

Nuts are primarily a fat. While they are a good source of fat and they do have a fair amount of protein, they are largely a fat.

As folks have said already - your best sources of protein are eggs (particularly the egg whites), lean meats such as chicken breast, turkey, lean ground beef, lean ham (although, pay attention to the sodium content), fish (also a great source of healthy fats - typically Omega-3), and anything else such as bison, deer, etc.

Also, certain brands of yogurt contain a fair amount of protein as does cottage cheese.

These are probably your best sources. You could go with a protein drink. However, I may steer you clear of the orange juice depending upon what your goals are. Fruit juices have a lot of sugar. If your goal is to lean out, etc., then I encourage you to use water or skim milk and go with a whey protein mix that is low in carbohydrates. For example, Muscle Milk is really primarily a pre-, during, or post-workout type of drink. It has a lot of carbohydrates per serving. I do not recommend it during the other times of the day unless you have a goal of trying to get bigger. And, then, it would be acceptable.

So, I guess the bigger question is - what exactly are your goals?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
Sounds disgusting!
It's not too bad. The protein powder I use is flavorless. I also add water to cut down on the sugar/acid.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
I also take some orange juice mixed with protein powder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertboxerboy View Post
Sounds disgusting!
Quote:
It's not too bad. The protein powder I use is flavorless. I also add water to cut down on the sugar/acid.
If you use vanilla protein powder, it's almost like one of those Orange Creamsicles.

Later.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Nuts have a very low BV with regards to protein, like gymcoach said, they are a fat. Basically, nuts have 6g of protein per serving and are only 60% BV, meaning you only get about 3.6g of protein that your body uses.

Here are some high protein sources:
- beef (lean cuts)
- skinless white meat chicken
- skinless turkey breast
- beef jerky
- milk
- whey protein
- cottage cheese
- cheese
- casein protein
- eggs (the whole egg - half of the protein is in the yolk, and don't worry about the fat or cholesterol from the egg, this is a quality fat, plus, the bulk of all nutrients are in the yolk. Saturated fats are the reasons for high cholesterol, not eating dietary cholesterol - this has little to no effect on blood plasma levels. However, there are approx. 16 types of saturated fat and they all metabolize differently - the ones to avoid are the ones in bad cooking oils such as cottonseed oil and vegetable oil and animal body fat).

For myself, I have a protein shake for breakfast (adjust your servings accordingly and blend it):
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 dry oats
- 1-2 scoops whey protein
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed oil
- Water (or milk if you don't like water with it)

No disrespect to gymcoach, just pointing out something...as for Muscle Milk, it's actually quite low in carbohydrates, but is a good fat and protein supplement:
- 12g fat
- 16g (5g fiber, for a 11g yield).
- 32g protein
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/milk.html
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
I boil a dozen eggs at a time and take one or two to work with me each day. (In a small cooler bag to keep them cold.) I also take some orange juice mixed with protein powder.
This.

Hard boiled eggs are awesome, I keep a dozen in the fridge always.
Great snack, lots of protein.

Tuna, 6 oz can - 25 grams of protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup usually 8-12 grams, check label
Tofu, cup 20 grams protein
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Beans also have a low BV - about 60-65% for most beans. It's a decent protein, but from that 7-10g, you'll only get around 4-6.5g.