Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You most certainly can compare the numbers. That Suns system you are talking about was led by WHO? Steve Nash. How many of Karl Malone's points came from John Stockton? They were masters of the pick and roll, and that was their linchpin, kinda like the Bulls with the triangle offense, or the Suns runnning and gunning. They are very strikingly similar when you actually look at it. The only exception being that Stockton and Malone basically played 19 years each without every really suffering serious injuries that sidelined them. Also, nobody can deny that John Stockton is the undisputed king of assists.

Nash didn't score in double digits until his 5th year, but you need context my friend. Nash didn't get many minutes his first two seasons in Phoenix because we were stacked with point guards in Kevin Johnson, Sam Cassell, and Jason Kidd. When he went to Dallas, the first year was the lockout year and the second year he sat out 25 games with an ankle injury. Then he exploded for Dallas and he has been putting up great numbers ever since. Also, to be fair, Stockton didn't put up double digit scoring numbers until his fourth year.

Again, I want to make it clear, I am not saying that Nash/Stoudemire have a more celebrated legacy than Stockton/Malone have, but they are very comparable when you look at the numbers. Obviously the Jazz in the 90's had some great runs with those two leading the way, but they also had some key role players on that squad like Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russel. The Suns have had some great seasons too, but kinda like the Jazz, they have failed to bring home a championship. (hopefully they can change that, lol)

Lastly, two more quick things.... Jordan was the ONLY MVP in the 90's and don't be hatin' on Shawn Marion!
suns have had good role players too.. Marion, Barbosa, fricken joe johnson lol.. Jazz atleast made the finals twice when they were past there prime... Nash only has like 2 years left of all star level play. I cant believe he hasnt dramatically declined yet. Even Kobe has started to decline a little bit and hes only 31

i dont mind sean marion but when he was putting up those numbers in phoenix people were comparing/calling him a Scottie Pippen like player in skillset with made me lmfao. Maybe they are similiar in build and athletic ability but Scottie was a superior passer, ball handler, shooter (except free throws), help defender (which is what marion is known for), 1 on 1 defender, and way better basketball iq. Once he left phoenix he wasnt the same plaer which showed he was a product of the system he was in.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

The Suns were robbed in the western conference finals by the league, or did you forget that? lol

Of course they have role players, every team does. I was merely pointing out why the Jazz did so well at that time besides just Stockton and Malone.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The Suns were robbed in the western conference finals by the league, or did you forget that? lol

Of course they have role players, every team does. I was merely pointing out why the Jazz did so well at that time besides just Stockton and Malone.
yes they were robbed cus the spurs are so much more marketable lol

ps go bulls big win today after making me break my remote control against in the game against the nets on friday haha
Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
yes they were robbed cus the spurs are so much more marketable lol

ps go bulls big win today after making me break my remote control against in the game against the nets on friday haha
Yes, go Bulls for sure. It's a tall order, but I'm definitely pulling for them.

Also I mis-spoke before, I meant to say western conference semi-finals. Either way...

The Spurs had already won a championship two years earlier, but I don't think they were robbed because of marketability. I think they were just robbed in general.

That was absolutely ridiculous of the league to suspend Amare and Boris for standing up off the bench. The Spurs are a bunch of dirty punks who constantly get away with murder and I have a hard time thinking of team that I despise more.

You know Tim Donaghy was a ref during that series too. Fishy as hell if you ask me.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, go Bulls for sure. It's a tall order, but I'm definitely pulling for them.

Also I mis-spoke before, I meant to say western conference semi-finals. Either way...

The Spurs had already won a championship two years earlier, but I don't think they were robbed because of marketability. I think they were just robbed in general.

That was absolutely ridiculous of the league to suspend Amare and Boris for standing up off the bench. The Spurs are a bunch of dirty punks who constantly get away with murder and I have a hard time thinking of team that I despise more.

You know Tim Donaghy was a ref during that series too. Fishy as hell if you ask me.
hahah i think yull see you fav team the spurs in the second round
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
billwilliams70

Not my opinions, but Colin Cowherd (I dig his show) believes that Orlando will make quick work of Cleveland.

Thoughts?

Later.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Not my opinions, but Colin Cowherd (I dig his show) believes that Orlando will make quick work of Cleveland.

Thoughts?

Later.
I think Orlando can take it, but I would put my money on the Cavs. Going to be a great matchup though and will show us if Lebron has what it takes to be in the consideration for greatest of all time(not saying he is right now, but times like this strengthen his cause).

Hoping the Suns take it all the way, first game against Portland was disappointing to say the least, but at least the second game was a blowout. West I would have to give it to LA, but Kobe isn't playing too well right now so who knows. I will be suprised if LA or Cleveland doesn't take home the trophy.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Dwight Howard while easily the best center in the league is a big overrated to me... Compared to centers from the 90's like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq heck even Mourning hes very limited offensively.

With that said the magic have a good chance of beaten anyone.. there worse matchtup is the lakers or the celtics who have bothe regressed this year. I like there chances against cleveland. Pietrus does a better job vs Lebron then anyone in the league.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
Dwight Howard while easily the best center in the league is a big overrated to me... Compared to centers from the 90's like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq heck even Mourning hes very limited offensively.

With that said the magic have a good chance of beaten anyone.. there worse matchtup is the lakers or the celtics who have bothe regressed this year. I like there chances against cleveland. Pietrus does a better job vs Lebron then anyone in the league.
He is limited offensively, but his defensive and rebounding contributions are top notch. If he can stay consistent in the rest of his game, and step his scoring up to over the 20 point average mark, by the time he retires he will deserve to be in the conversation with some of the guys you mentioned.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
He is limited offensively, but his defensive and rebounding contributions are top notch. If he can stay consistent in the rest of his game, and step his scoring up to over the 20 point average mark, by the time he retires he will deserve to be in the conversation with some of the guys you mentioned.
bulls n suns win today so good night for you... Hope amare doesnt get suspended though