Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM

I was just reading a little bit more about diplomatic immunity. You can't revoke a guest diplomat's status but they can be expelled.

Scroll down to "Injury and death" for some real eye-openers ~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Black Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
You do raise an interesting point about potential bio weapons. But in terms of getting it from a university I would have to disagree. True, things like really concentrated di and tri protic acids are available, but you could NOT materialize that into a bomb. The susbtance would oxidize before causing any real damage. The most acids could do would be to burn you, but you would have to throw it on someone who is an arm length away, and you would need alot of if to kill someone, you might hurt someone with a little, but not kill. I mean theoretically you could use one of the planes that put out forest fires, but even then the acid would be so concentrated it may just oxidize first.

To get the really nasty stuff (carinogens, or mutagens) you have to have a permit. Those permits are only given to academic institutions and other big name pharma companies. That stuff is not given to undergrads, and sometimes not even the grad students. Only the proffs can handle them, and they are accoutable for every drop, just like a pharamcist who has to make sure he has oxycodone pill accounted for....because if he doesnt....TROUBLE. Plus the university would not let you mess around. They are billion dollar companies in the end (who happen to hand out degrees ). They are not going to risk you ruining their endowment $$$$$$$.
Universities, I agree with (for the latter, I took home that acid to run some of my own experiments ). But I'm still got my concerns about the actual companies.

I remember reading somewhere that Russia is pretty lose on their labs, or was it their nuclear power plants and uranium. I'm sure the US or Canada aren't that lacked, but if I was in a government position, I would definitely be thinking about increasing security in chemical and biological labs. Permits are not enough. Maybe I've watched too many action movies, but you can whack a person and then snatch their permit. Or take a person's eye out if they have that eye security stuff going on. I'd even go beyond and say get deep background checks on peeps working in labs (not university level) and companies. Extreme? Maybe. Can it save lives? Yep.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
I learned that Muslims are good people. It's the Americans we should worry about.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
I concur.

And sadly, I think the next attack is going to be worse than 9/11. I've read online that the higher peeps are concerned about nuclear threats. I seriously think we shouldn't be all that concerned about nuclear or dirty bombs. It's important, but we (US) should be even more concerned about chemical and biological attacks. It is SO EASY to make chemicals, and obtain nasty biological agents. Not to mention a heck of lot cheaper.

Think about it: most of our labs in the US don't have the best of security. It be easy to walk in, snatch some stuff, and walk out. Shoot, I was able to snatch some small vials HCL, Nitric Acid, and Acetic acid in my freshman year. But we have a no fly zone over a stadium during the Super Bowl, but no no fly zones over nuclear power plants. Go figure that.
What's that word....oh yeah....priorities!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
Universities, I agree with (for the latter, I took home that acid to run some of my own experiments ). But I'm still got my concerns about the actual companies.

I remember reading somewhere that Russia is pretty lose on their labs, or was it their nuclear power plants and uranium. I'm sure the US or Canada aren't that lacked, but if I was in a government position, I would definitely be thinking about increasing security in chemical and biological labs. Permits are not enough. Maybe I've watched too many action movies, but you can whack a person and then snatch their permit. Or take a person's eye out if they have that eye security stuff going on. I'd even go beyond and say get deep background checks on peeps working in labs (not university level) and companies. Extreme? Maybe. Can it save lives? Yep.
maybe just a few too many, lol, jokes.

It does not really work like that. The permits are mostly online now, and you have to log into a secure encrypted network. I would go as far as saying the pentagon does not even have computers fast enough to hack it.

Plus, the sad things is, most of these extra tests and security measures you would want to take, although very noble, would cause major drug companies alot of problems. They would have to spend more money on security detail, how they order their materials, background checks, ultimately how they do their trials etc. And in the end, these big companies have nice lobby groups making sure these hassles dont come their way. Its just the way it is....