Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Krupp

[QUOTE=KevinD;108216]I think even at 43 Renzo is a better opponent than Royce was. Renzo has much better hands than Royce and is equally good on the ground. QUOTE]

This is what worries me about this fight. I haven't seen Hughe's standup in a while...has it improved any? I'm concerned that, while Matt can and probably will get teh takedown, I'm thinking Renzo's gonna at least defend more than a few of them.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Blade

I don't really think Hughes will have a problem in this fight. He'll get the takedowns without too much bother and he doesn't seem to have too much problem on the ground with BJJ guys who he can overpower. I see this as a TKO from GnP or a comfortable decision.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
BamaGrits84

Matt himself said Renzo was a nice guy in a recent interview, but well this is a fight and fights usually aren't usually determine by being a nice guy. I'm all about fighters acting respectfully towards each other - unless it's Tito or Serra then all is fair - and it's nice to know renzo isn't being a big trash talker but I want Matt to kick his butt. Did anyone see the article from mmajunkie.com about Renzo being in investor involved in the UFC coming to abu daubi and him pretty much telling dana he wanted to fight Matt? Your family's honor doesn't need this fight - you do. And I keep hearing all these comments from him about the family name and Matt beating Royce, i think it's kind of stupid. No one needs to defend the Gracie name. It's a legacy that no one fight is going to change. And if he even had a chance to beat Matt - which i don't think he does - then what's he going to say? Matt's 50% winning percentage with our family brings us honor?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post

does he know your a Forum Spy
Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
does he know your a Forum Spy
We actually talked about Matt alot... but mostly it was BJJ...

When we walked him and the UFC rep to their car.. I told him.. I have been a huge Hughes fans for years.. but seeing you interact with those fans.. you got another one...

He called me "brother.. thank you"..

While we were outside waiting for him (me and the TWC marketing director) a guy was leaving.. he was all tatted up.. didn't look happy.. I said you leaving?? He said that Renzo wasn't coming.... he had to go to teach his class.. I told him to hang for 10 more minutes... he is on the way...

Renzo and the UFC rep got their about 20 minutes later... I said Renzo.. nice to meet you.. this guy (he had went to call his dojo) said that he hasn't seen you in 10 years....

Renzo looked over saw the guy talking on the phone.. and you would have thought that he just saw his brother ...

after they said their "heys" he told me that... "Thanks for making him wait.. you are a cool guy:....

He would speak with everyone... was just a great guy... gonna suck to see Matt beat him down...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont really know anything about him.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Crisco

[QUOTE=Krupp;108222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
I think even at 43 Renzo is a better opponent than Royce was. Renzo has much better hands than Royce and is equally good on the ground. QUOTE]

This is what worries me about this fight. I haven't seen Hughe's standup in a while...has it improved any? I'm concerned that, while Matt can and probably will get teh takedown, I'm thinking Renzo's gonna at least defend more than a few of them.
Matt's stand up is seriously underrated. The reasonwhy it didn't look overly impressive is because MAtt has been standing south paw.

If you watch Hughes GSP 2 and BJ vs Hughes 2 and atch matt's hand movement he is VERY crisp.

Matt can definately bang from the orthodox stance and I would personally like to see him go back to it. People know his shot is coming and it makes it less effective.

Hughes wins this fight wherever I;m just saying I'd really like to watch a return to orthodox.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 PM
rearnakedchoke

[QUOTE=Crisco;108676]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post

Matt's stand up is seriously underrated. The reasonwhy it didn't look overly impressive is because MAtt has been standing south paw.

If you watch Hughes GSP 2 and BJ vs Hughes 2 and atch matt's hand movement he is VERY crisp.

Matt can definately bang from the orthodox stance and I would personally like to see him go back to it. People know his shot is coming and it makes it less effective.

Hughes wins this fight wherever I;m just saying I'd really like to watch a return to orthodox.
yeah, i never understood the whole thing about matt's standup being weak ..yeah, he isn't like paul daley, but it is enough for people to worry about enough so that he gets the TD and pounds opponents into TKO or open em up for a sub .. but yeah, GSP has a glass jaw and BJ has no cardio ..
Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I agree that Matt's standup has been under-rated by some fans, but that is typical of many MMA fighters who's strengths are focused on wrestling and BJJ. On the other side, for a long time Wanderlei Silva's submission game has been under-rated by critics because of his dominance in the standup.

Matt set a standard with his dominance in the ground game, and with the evolution of the sport's younger stars and the growth in coverage by half-witted media outlets over the last 5-10 years, it's been easy to paint Matt as "weak" in the standup game.

This isn't Boxing or Kickboxing, this is MMA. Anybody who tries to de-value Matt or his record based on his prowess as a striker is simply a meathead fan who only half-way understands the sport.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Max

Who gives a crap if Matt has bad standup? Its not like Renzo is gonna be able to stop Matt's takedowns o it does not really matter.