Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 AM
jason2130

Default kids only ringtones

anyone seen these yet?

as we get older we lose the ability to here certain ranges in sound, there are now ringtones only kids can here, i thought it was a joke when my dad got forwarded a ringtone that was broke.... long story short we found out its real, a relative played it in church only to see the kids start looking around called us later that day and said it was great

http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/ has a pitch thing to see how well you can here, bring a kid in the room though to find out how bad your hearing is

apparently this isnt anything new, just new to me

http://boingboing.net/2006/05/24/kid...een-repel.html
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 AM
jason2130

on the ultrasonic sound thing i cant hear past 16.7, my wife cant hear past 15.8, the dog continues to stare at me with a why am i doing this all the way through, i had to turn the volume up on the pseakers as the pitch got higher, but only 2 adults here, wonder if its massivly different for kids

anyone with kids wanna post how high they can hear?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Mac

I can hear up to the 19.9

Boone my 9 year old says he can hear the very last one.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Wow...

Hilariously enough, this is my field of expertise. I think this may be the first "sound" related thread on MHF that I personally didn't start.

Anyway....NOBODY should be purposely pumping 18KHz or more into their eardrums. So, if you care about your hearing, don't even bother trying to listen to those frequencies.

YES, dogs and other animals will become EXTREMELY annoyed with you if you continue to make these frequencies audible. Imagine if I taped your head to Metallica's PA horns during the middle of an obnoxious solo...you wouldn't appreciate that very much, so please be nice to the little guys.

As we get older, we DO gradually lose our hearing, but lets not get the ridiculous idea that there is some sort of "secret" ringtone that adults can't hear. Some kids may have fooled a senior citizen, but it's not as the reports make it seem. Even at frequencies you cannot hear, most people will still feel an uncomfortable vibration. To make it seem like these kids have defied the laws of physics and sound is just hilarious.

Last edited by J.B.; 03-30-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 AM

I could only hear the first 3.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:21 AM
matthughesfan21

this has been around for awhile...I remember when we first learned of this like 4 or 5 years ago, I could hear all of them, I can't hear past 18 now
Old 03-30-2010, 03:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Whats funny to me is that this is like a group of kids hiding out at the back of the school-lot during recess, smoking cigarettes....

all of em are just burning up their little lungs, but they don't even know it...

and I'm like that annoying school monitor with words of wisdom, that you always ignore (but you tell everybody he was the coolest dude long after you graduated).
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 AM
jason2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Whats funny to me is that this is like a group of kids hiding out at the back of the school-lot during recess, smoking cigarettes....

all of em are just burning up their little lungs, but they don't even know it...

and I'm like that annoying school monitor with words of wisdom, that you always ignore (but you tell everybody he was the coolest dude long after you graduated).
lol... i quit clicking them after i read your first post, but i heard...well couldnt hear 2 ringtones now on the neighbor kids phone now, he swears its actual ringtones, says his friend has other ones but most of them make your ears feel clogged afterwards (how bad is that?)

J.B. I NEED ANSWERS!

if these kids are texting each other in class all day with these, and they are bad for your hearing and yet the teacher cant hear it, are we gonna have a generation of deaf kids? my niece got in trouble a few months back for sending 2000+ text on a bill, if she uses a high pitch ring tone how bad would that be?

we all had 8in-12in speakers in our cars at my school and where told we would be deaf, now they have rintones lol i find this all interesting and yet sorta scary now
Old 03-30-2010, 05:28 AM

I could hear up to 15.8. From 16.7 to 21.1, I hear the piston-like sound when it starts and when it stops but nothing in between. At 22.4, nothing.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
lol... i quit clicking them after i read your first post, but i heard...well couldnt hear 2 ringtones now on the neighbor kids phone now, he swears its actual ringtones, says his friend has other ones but most of them make your ears feel clogged afterwards (how bad is that?)

J.B. I NEED ANSWERS!

if these kids are texting each other in class all day with these, and they are bad for your hearing and yet the teacher cant hear it, are we gonna have a generation of deaf kids? my niece got in trouble a few months back for sending 2000+ text on a bill, if she uses a high pitch ring tone how bad would that be?

we all had 8in-12in speakers in our cars at my school and where told we would be deaf, now they have rintones lol i find this all interesting and yet sorta scary now
I don't think we will see an epidemic of deaf kids because of this, but the bottom line is that it's just not good for their ears, or anybody's ears that is around them.

There is always noise in the air that is inaudible to human ears, and over time it naturally causes our hearing to worsen. Some things speed up that process, such as constantly listening to loud music. For instance, my hearing is significantly depleted more than the average person at my age from years of performing in a band and from many hours spent mixing music with headphones. I suffer from "Tinnitus", which is a natural byproduct of being a musician, and it makes it hard for me to sleep without background noise such as a fan or radio.

I am sure there have been studies done, and I am too lazy to research it right now, but I am willing to bet that since the cell-phone has become a permanent fixture in our lives that people's hearing has probably been depleted at a higher rate than it was in the past. I personally never put the phone directly up to my ear unless it's absolutely necessary and I don't use headsets or earpieces either.