Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Kids watching MMA?

Do you think it's ok to let children watch MMA events? I have two boys, ages 5 & 8. Both are big UFC fans. The love to watch the fights, play "fight night" as they call it, my oldest takes BJJ and wrestling, my youngest wants to, both can rare naked a grown man, the youngest throw bombs like Chuck, they own dozens of MMA realted clothing items. Second to Alabama football it's the sport they are most interested in. All that being said, I had someone pretty much tell me I'm encouraging violence in my children. My thought was to show the lady a little violence at first - j/j. We've never had any problems with them acting violent. We did have a couple of times where we had to explain to the youngest it wasn't ok for him to engage his much smaller classmates in playing "fight night" and trying to make them tap, but other than that no problems with it. And we don't let them watch TUF because the content is not appropriate for children. So my question is do you or would you allow your child to watch MMA events? Personally I think we need more kids who are tough to offset the growing number of parents who are raising pansies.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Miss Foxy

I let my 7yr old watch mma with me. His idol is Matt Hughes. He always watches his old fights and stares at the screen without blinking. He does not respond violently either. I have explained the sport and I also have had him in JJ. I think if you explain to your children this is a sport and these are professional fighters not to practice those moves on each other you should be ok. To me it isnt about being a tough guy or pansy, because mma has a few pansies..haha.. who are professionals..Anyhow good luck!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

My son (9) and my daughter (7) love watching the PPVs and Fight Nights.. I don't let them watch TUF... maybe I would.. but they are actually in bed at that time.. but the language and crap they do on the show.. they don't need to see

Garrett got his mohawk after seeing Chuck fight... Both my kids were screaming at the TV.. (with all the adults) when Matt was about to rip Royce's arm off...

But my kids take karate.. so they wrestle and spar a bit rough.. so rough some of the other kids in the area don't want to "play" like that...

I say sure it's fine.. as long as there is education behind it.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Twinsmama

My kids are 5 and watch. No one in my family thinks it is a good idea. Luckily I have a boy and girl. The boy already knows no hitting girls, even his sister. There are some fights like a broken leg twisted backwards I would kinda hurry them into another room with me for something i just had to have their help with right away...wink,wink. I don't want them seeing to much blood and guts but i think overall it is okay. They don't love watchin Matt whip some booty quite as much as me but they love cheering him on! The girl isn't into it much but she will once she figures out what HOT means!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

My boys aren't allowed to watch. They watch Grey's Anatomy and American Idol.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 PM
County Mike

If you let them watch any other sports, I don't see a problem with UFC. It's a sport, same as football, hockey, baseball, etc.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Shoots like a girl

I let my kids watch! My 14 year old daughter likes to watch because most of the guys are hot! LOL!!! But my 5 year old son loves it! His favorite is Chuck Liddell, he even requested a chuck mohawk and has sported it for the last 2 years! Hes a cool as Chuck! When we met Matt (mommys favorite) last summer my son had a big talk with Matt, which was really cool! I dont worry about the violence because my husband has taught him the rights and wrongs of fighting. My biggest worry with my kids and MMA is the PPV fights arent sensored and the language is inappropriate for my kids.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Miss Foxy

I would rather have my son enjoying MMA with mommy than idolizing some rapper or kid from Jersey Shore!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I would rather have my son enjoying MMA with mommy than idolizing some rapper or kid from Jersey Shore!!
very true! lol!

my girls watch. have for years.

it's a sport. there are rules of conduct. no one is saying that people should just go out and brawl on the street........

go with your gut and remember that there will always be people who disagree with you.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Garandshooter

My kids are allowed to watch PPV fights, and fight nights. TUF is not allowed due to the poor examples set by most contestants.
Closed Thread