Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Dethbob

First verse I was ever taught:

Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,
I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

A droplet of pure Gospel, and still a favorite. As a doctrine for daily life, I canít beat:

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
surveyorshawn

Romans 8:28 (New King James Version)

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Corinthians 4:8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
First verse I was ever taught:

Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,
I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Inspired Holman Hunt to paint "The Light Of The World" one copy hangs in the middlesex regimental chapel at Saint Paul's Cathedral London acting as a Giant Rearadross

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Dethbob

Mark 15:32
"Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe."

Little did they know...I love the way this has different meaning from different perspectives.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Ecclesiastes 3

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Seasons of our Lives you know
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
BamaGrits84

John 3:17:
God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

John 13:34-35:
"So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.Ē

1 Corinthians 13
Love Is the Greatest

1 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didnít love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of Godís secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didnít love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;[a] but if I didnít love others, I would have gained nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages[b] and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! 9 Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! 10 But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.

11 When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 12 Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.[c] All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

13 Three things will last foreverófaith, hope, and loveóand the greatest of these is love.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Dethbob

John 20:19
On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

It has been argued that an omniscient God can not have a sense of humor, because humor is the result of the startle response; that you laugh when something unexpected happens. This might be true in some cases, but I donít think it explains everything. Why do old movies still make you laugh? Why do you burst out laughing when someone starts a joke youíve heard before? You know what the punchline is going to be, thatís why youíre laughing; so how could it be unexpected? Also, the richest grounds for humor are situations with which we are most familiar; there are far more sitcoms about family and work than about space travel or international finance. We laugh hardest when we see characters we know from our own lives, mistakes we ourselves have made. It seems that for us to find something funny it has to contain an element of truth, and more importantly it has to in some way make us aware of ourselves. With that in mind, I find it unlikely that a God who is by his essence Truth, and who told Moses that the Hebrews would recognize Him by the title ĎI AMí, would not have a sense of humor.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

ďIf you walk in my statutes and observe my commandments and do them, 4 then I will give you your rains in their season, and the land shall yield its increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. 5 Your threshing shall last to the time of the grape harvest, and the grape harvest shall last to the time for sowing. And you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely. 6 I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid. And I will remove harmful beasts from the land, and the sword shall not go through your land. 7 You shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. 8 Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall chase ten thousand, and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword. 9 I will turn to you and make you fruitful and multiply you and will confirm my covenant with you. 10 You shall eat old store long kept, and you shall clear out the old to make way for the new. 11 I will make my dwelling [6] among you, and my soul shall not abhor you. 12 And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people.

its somewhere in Leviticus
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Blade

John 11 : 25-26

Whoever believes in me will live, even though he dies ; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.