Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 AM
AMJ

Default Were you spanked/hit as a kid?

Just curious as to your upbringing and if you treat your kids the same way.

I'm not talking about child abuse by the way, I simply mean if you were acting like a brat how would your parents punish/discipline you?

Don't you find kids are being coddled in this generation? I saw a little kid telling his Mother to shutup in the Mall today and I was disgusted at how any parent would let their child speak to them like that.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I was spanked with a belt... and when my mom would be really angry... she would swing the belt buckle.... and I had stuff thrown with me ... It was abuse.. and I swore I would never do that to my kids.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Silverback

Heck yeah, I was whipped, never beat, was corrected for doing something wrong, didnt hurt me, My mom would get a weeping willow switch and that baby wouuld wrap around like a whip, hurt like hell. Funny, she would say, This is going to hurt me more then it is you, DUH.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

My mom would try to shame us into "behaving". And she would smack us on the leg or bottom with her hand. My great-aunt babysat us when we were little and she used a switch. My aunt on dad's side would use her flip-flop. Paternal Granny would pinch us. lol. Maternal Granny never even raised her voice. (I never misbehaved with her. Odd, huh?) My later step-mother gave you the silent treatment until you caved. lol. (HATED THAT!) My dad was a very large man and did physical labor daily. He was terrifying and he whipped me and my sister when I was 4 and she 6. At the time, I thought he was going to kill us. He didn't have to do it again until I was 11. When he whipped me then I was pretty much positive he was going to kill me. (That time was a hilarous story. Now, not funny then.) That is the last one that I remember.

Oh! And we recieved paddlings at school. They didn't have to call your parents back then.

Dang! I didn't realize so many people got to whip my butt.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 AM
mscomc

I was spanked as a child. And personally, I think it is quite effective. BUT!!! I would like to make a clear distinction; there is a difference between getting a spanking and getting beat.

When I was spanked, it was becuase I was not listening, and I am sure I really angered my parents. In fact, Im thinking of some of the annoying crap I probably use to do. Usually, it was one firm spank on the rear, or side of the face. That was it. That was a spanking. I got it, my sisters got it, my relatives got it from their parents etc etc. It is just my humble oppinion but I think we turned out ok. I can tell you this, WE NEVER spoke back to our parents, never yelled at them, disrespected them or anything like that. But at the same time, we DID NOT fear them. We respected and loved them.

Beating on the other hand, is using objects and excessively hitting someone. I am talking about 10 slaps on the face, using a object to repeatedly strike that it my leave a bruise or a cut or some other kind of physical impairment. Also, people who hit their children when they are engraged from alcohol or something else is WRONG. This will cause your child to fear you, and you will damage the relationship. This is the source I think some (not all) parents get their idea of " I got beat as a kid, I am not going to beat my kids". And then these are the kids you see screaming in stores, and we all have to put up with that crap, they yell at their parents, hit them, and tell them to SHUT UP, which absolutely infuriates me.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 AM
internationalharvester

I was spanked as a child, not only by my parents, but by my friends parents from time to time...and you know what i learned pretty quick to not do stuff that got me into to much trouble
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Chris F

Yes and never got one I did not deserve.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:48 AM

I was the second of five and we all got spanked (by dad only, mom made us feel terrible about acting up, that was enough punishment, usually) although by the time my baby brother arrived, I think my parents were too tired by then and just hollered at him. He definitely had it easier than us older kids

But seriously, we were never "hit", just spanked on the butt, never hit with an object either. I don't have kids so I sure don't have any answers; my sister tells me part of the problem with today's kids are parents want to be their friends and not discipline them. I don't think I suffered later in life from being spanked; I always respected my elders and would NEVER have told my parents to "shut up".

How about you, AMJ? And yes, I think kids are disgracefully coddled and the way teachers are treated is UNACCEPTABLE.

(this from a former Catholic student of Sister Mary Discipline with a steel ruler)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Yes and never got one I did not deserve.
Same as above, though then I didn't think I deserved it, mostly. I learned then not to do the crime unless I could do the time; I didn't like doing the time. I knew that if I acted out of line there would be consequences to pay. I chose the easy way and learned manners and respect. It paid off ten-fold.

I don't have kids but am saddened at how some kids seem to have the lack of respect and manners that I learned as a child.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
County Mike

My sisters and I were spanked. Sometimes with a wooden spoon. I don't have a problem with it. We learned our lessons very quickly. Immediate feedback with a sting to the butt is 100 times more effective than a time out or a talking to. My mom didn't have to tell us more than once to stop doing something that was wrong.

I see a lot of kids today who outright defy their parents. The reason - no spankings.

I would never punch or BEAT my kids but you can bet your ass that I'll spank theirs.