Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Thats actually a bit of a letdown. I personally expected it to at least hit 1 million just because of the amount of exposure and the fact it was at Cowboys stadium. I'm not saying those are BAD numbers, not at all. Just not what was expected by a lot of people.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Thats actually a bit of a letdown. I personally expected it to at least hit 1 million just because of the amount of exposure and the fact it was at Cowboys stadium. I'm not saying those are BAD numbers, not at all. Just not what was expected by a lot of people.
I figured 3/4 mil. The undercard was pretty good, but only for the die-hard fans in my opinion. Pac didn't have anybody to dance with him on this card. Not bad considering those factors.

With numbers like that from just Pac alone, I think it'd be safe to say Mayweather/Mosley could do 1.25 to 1.5 million. 2 top well-known contenders with the winner possibly to face Pac (or make failed negotiations with Pac ), why wouldn't everybody buy it?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I figured 3/4 mil. The undercard was pretty good, but only for the die-hard fans in my opinion. Pac didn't have anybody to dance with him on this card. Not bad considering those factors.

With numbers like that from just Pac alone, I think it'd be safe to say Mayweather/Mosley could do 1.25 to 1.5 million. 2 top well-known contenders with the winner possibly to face Pac (or make failed negotiations with Pac ), why wouldn't everybody buy it?
I'm not saying it's a bad draw. It's still 700,000 buys, but that is most definitely a let down for them in terms of what they expected.

The undercard is not what sells the fights, and with Manny's star power as of late one would think it would have hit 1 million. The fact that the media promoted the crap out the fight both directly and indirectly, and it was at Cowboys Stadium, makes me think it could have done better. The fight had almost 51,000 people in attendance, which is like the 3rd highest ever for a fight, and his last fight with Cotto did 1.25 million buys at MGM Grand in Vegas. Part of the way the Clottey fight was promoted was that it was supposed to be a big "EVENT" that everybody needed to see because of how awesome the stadium is. Of course Miguel Cotto may have had a better name than Clottey, but that is still a difference of over 500,000 buys.

I would say it's a combination of things. Some of it is fallout from casual fans over wanting to see the Mayweather fight, and some of it was fans who didn't think Clottey stood a chance and didn't think it was worth buying. Regardless, it's still solid numbers, and the attendance alone made it a success.