Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
It happens. the coming of the heads is eachothers fault, its just unfortunate but its gonna happen when you have two men fighting.

The eye poke did look nasty but again, it was never intentional.

I don't think it changed things for the fight, Fraklin was always going to win the 3rd round but never finish it.

So Hendo still wins, 29-28 in my view.
I dont think it would have changed the result...and the headbutt, your right looked accidental...but the eyepoke looked deliberate on the replay...I mean because it was a finger and not a thumb...if he's punching, what is he doing with his fingers uncurled so close to Franklins face????

Even if its unitentional...I think fighters should be punished for it on the scorecards...and I also think its one too many in one fight for a maineventer, He either did it deliberately or was just careless...eitherway...the eyepoke shouldnt have happened...and more people should be pointing this out...I cant tell you how many journalists have avoided it all together...but they'll scream and Rua for his performance...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
but the eyepoke looked deliberate on the replay...I mean because it was a finger and not a thumb...if he's punching, what is he doing with his fingers uncurled so close to Franklins face????
see Dave you have it all wrong. Dan did not deliberately poke Rich in the eye, Rich tried to break Dan's fingers by smashing his face into Dan's hand. Dan was lucky he was not hurt
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
see Dave you have it all wrong. Dan did not deliberately poke Rich in the eye, Rich tried to break Dan's fingers by smashing his face into Dan's hand. Dan was lucky he was not hurt
You're both wrong. Rich was in danger of knocking Dan out & needed to give him time to recover. He intentionally threw his eye into Dan's finger so that the ref would have stop call a time-out, allowing Dan to recover & finish the round & keeping Rich from having to coach TUF.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

This has turned into a circus and we're only in day two
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Rich definatley won round 3, looked to me like he won round 2.. Hendo won round 1, no question.

No way Rich took that as a 30.

The headbutt was accidental, the finger poke was too late in the fight to have mattered much. And that is a problem with defensive fighting. You open your hand for many things.. it's a risk. Not a large one, but still part of the game.

No harm, no foul.

I am wondering if there is a prevision that would have allowed the fight to end right there.. and go to the judges if the eye poke was that bad.

Doubt it, but it's a similiar question to "No Contest" fights.. if a fight reaches a certain point, should that be allowed to be a stopping point in the case of a "foul" stoppage.. similiar to Mirko Filipović vs Alistair Overeem (though the groin shots were considered accidental).
Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

No harm, no foul.

I am wondering if there is a prevision that would have allowed the fight to end right there.. and go to the judges if the eye poke was that bad.
tell that to Franklin...the effects of the eyepoke didnt dissapear with the end of the round
Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
atomdanger

UFC 93 was a pretty sub par event in my opinion.

Shogun looked bad, but I am going to wait until his next fight to made any comments on him just yet,
He had a long layoff and two major knee surgeries.
See we shall see...

and I am just not impressed with Dan Henderson since he came from Pride.
*shrug*

I liked it when The Hitman won though

I definitely didn't enjoy seeing this...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 PM
County Mike

Foreigners never get the good UFC cards. Just another reason it's good to be an American.

In my opinion, the finger poke looked a little intentional. If I was going to poke someone in the eyes, that's exactly how I would do it. All 4 fingers right at the eyes. One of them's bound to go in. We're actually taught to do it that way in street fight defense.

Franklin didn't want to coach TUF again, so it all worked out. Fight was close enough to not hurt his reputation but Hendo still gets the coaching job. Now I'll root for Hendo to lead our American boys against those brits.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I know...its true