Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well WADR to the others that have posted I wouldn't let the opinions or pictures sway you away from riding nor to it. It really has to be something that's within you. You're friend is right in saying that you need to be assertive. You also need to be extremely observant. But more than anything you have to be willing to accept that fact that your hobby could have fatal consequences.

I ride 7 days a week rain or shine. On average I will ride just over 14,000 miles a year on my bike. I ride with the local BMW club, HOG chapter, Goldwing riders, crotch rockets, church folks, ex cons, doctors and a few Outlaws I rode just over 100 straight days last year until I missed a day. Oddly enough the day I missed was to attend a funeral of a buddy who died on his bike. I've lived in Florida just over 3 years and I've attended 7 funerals of people I've known personally who have died on their bikes. Some through their own fault and others not. None of that has swayed me away from riding and it never would. Ever.

I ride every day, everywhere. I ride to sales appointments in a shirt and tie, to church 2-4 times a week and to places like Daytona for Bike Week. I very seldom if ever wear a helmet and every day I ride I accept my fate. I'm completely comfortable with dying on my bike and to be honest I would prefer it. Not in a reckless, suicidal way but when I go I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing then riding my motorcycle.

For me riding is spiritual. I never feel closer to Christ than when I'm on my bike. It's my time. Just me and Him. Sometimes I put Praise and Worship on my MP3 player and other times I just enjoy my V&H Longshots. When I ride my stress leaves me. Every time.

Riding is no joke though. Nobody sees you on the road. I see people texting, playing with the radio, doing their nails, reading a book, you name it I've seen it. I've locked eyes with drivers and watched them pull right out in front of me. I would say I avoid a crash at least 4-5 times a week. Take note.. I said I avoid. If you don't pay attention you'll go down. I guarantee it. And the sad truth is no matter what you do, no matter how careful you are, sooner or later you'll go down on your bike.

If you can accept that then I say go take a safety course, get a bike and ride it like ya stole it!!

For me, there is simply nothing else like it. The juice IS worth the squeeze.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
oh......and your a suck up!

i dont suck up to ANYONE ! ! !

well except for maybe Bonnie....hi Bonnie !
hope i spelled everything right.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post


No....really! I'm serious!

But my friend (who is a biker) said I'm not aggressive enough to ride a bike. That bikers need to be really confident and that I am much too timid of a driver to ever be good on a bike.

He told me to get a vespa!

Thoughts?

What DOES it take to be a "good" biker? And a good biker chick?
I want to have a motorbike also...mostly because you can ride on them on a permanent provisional liscence in this country

But my Mother says I shouldnt...and that she would want me to ride a moped instead...and they look stupid

Our Family was blighted by a motorbike accident. My Grandmother had three two Sisters...one of whom is in her late 90s, and one of whom recently died...now for the best part of forty years, that second sister, called Eileen, she cut herself off from the family...she did so because she only had one child, a Son...and he was killed in a motorbike accident before he was 20 years old...the rest of her family were blessed with multiple offspring...She only returned to us on the death of her Husband...and even then, it wasnt long before she also died.

Motorbikes are dangerous...not because of those who drive them...but because of most other road users who dont look out for them...the ammount of times a car will pull out of a minor onto a major, and claim they didnt see the bike because they were only looking for other cars...meanwhile the biker hasnt time to stop when someone pulls out right infront of them...and you dont play chicken with a larger machine and expect to come off best...if you know what I mean...the car gets a dent...the motorbike gets smushed and the biker goes airbourne...

Perhaps stick to skydiving instead
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,788
Default

Yeah....like me for instance
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
but i noticed you said that you might be having a midlife thingy...well my advice to you would be...stay away from the bikes then GRANDMA ! !
because after all they are really only meant for the young hip kids...like Michelle for instance.
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Mac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post


No....really! I'm serious!

But my friend (who is a biker) said I'm not aggressive enough to ride a bike. That bikers need to be really confident and that I am much too timid of a driver to ever be good on a bike.

He told me to get a vespa!

Thoughts?

What DOES it take to be a "good" biker? And a good biker chick?
Donna , Before i ever even opened this thread i was thinking " Im going to suggest she gets a Vespa" ha ha ha , I agree with your friend , find a cool old Vespa and have a blast. That or an old Cushman Eagle.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,788
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i dont suck up to ANYONE ! ! !

well except for maybe Bonnie....hi Bonnie !
hope i spelled everything right.
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 AM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I want to have a motorbike also...mostly because you can ride on them on a permanent provisional liscence in this country

But my Mother says I shouldnt...and that she would want me to ride a moped instead...and they look stupid

Our Family was blighted by a motorbike accident. My Grandmother had three two Sisters...one of whom is in her late 90s, and one of whom recently died...now for the best part of forty years, that second sister, called Eileen, she cut herself off from the family...she did so because she only had one child, a Son...and he was killed in a motorbike accident before he was 20 years old...the rest of her family were blessed with multiple offspring...She only returned to us on the death of her Husband...and even then, it wasnt long before she also died.

Motorbikes are dangerous...not because of those who drive them...but because of most other road users who dont look out for them...the ammount of times a car will pull out of a minor onto a major, and claim they didnt see the bike because they were only looking for other cars...meanwhile the biker hasnt time to stop when someone pulls out right infront of them...and you dont play chicken with a larger machine and expect to come off best...if you know what I mean...the car gets a dent...the motorbike gets smushed and the biker goes airbourne...

Perhaps stick to skydiving instead
your Mother says you shouldn't ?......you crack me up sometimes Dave.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Mac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Here Donna , Dont mess around with one of those new plastic Vespas . Youve gotta get the cool old ones , the ones with style and soul , not those new hunks of plastic.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/1643600949.html
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 AM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Here Donna , Dont mess around with one of those new plastic Vespas . Youve gotta get the cool old ones , the ones with style and soul , not those new hunks of plastic.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/1643600949.html
That is a really cool Vespa! It just screams "Italian!"

I can ride it in my back fields.....and have all the chickens and goats chase me!

and the mastiff!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Donna , Before i ever even opened this thread i was thinking " Im going to suggest she gets a Vespa" ha ha ha , I agree with your friend , find a cool old Vespa and have a blast. That or an old Cushman Eagle.
Saw this at Bike Week this year....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.