Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Jens Pulver speaks about Life after WEC47

to the best of my knowledge, its the first I've heard of him since

http://fighthype.com/pages/content7109.html
Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
annamal

Man, Jens ain't even old yet. He's only 34? Maybe he just needs to take some time off for awhile like Randy did and then come back and rule the world. I will always be down to watch a Jens Pulver fight.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Man, I would love it if Jens could take over the color commentary full-time from Mir/Florian/Bonnar/[insert other random bored figher]. He's an AMAZING commentator.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Man, I would love it if Jens could take over the color commentary full-time from Mir/Florian/Bonnar/[insert other random bored figher]. He's an AMAZING commentator.
YES he is! I hope they let him do that too!!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Man, Jens ain't even old yet. He's only 34? Maybe he just needs to take some time off for awhile like Randy did and then come back and rule the world. I will always be down to watch a Jens Pulver fight.
Do you know I learned an interesting fact today. The Roman Empire loved bloodsports, and they loved combat, and they combined them to create and control the mob of Rome.

Each Emporar would host a major Games, which were often split into several levels. As the crowd entered, the Gladiators would begin by performing executions of slaves or criminals, often this was big battles that recreated scenes from history. Following this there would be a warm up for the nights festivities. All the Gladiators would put on a workshop of skills using wooden swords or sticks. It was to showcase themselves...and at this point the betting tables would open and the crowd would begin to lay down bets.

Contrary to popular belief, there were a lot of known and well loved Gladiators, and there was two ways in which they would servive. The next level was the duels, begining with the poor matches of noobs. As the night wore on the more popular and well known Gladiators would fight each other, again, just as a duel...only two men.

During these duels, the objective was not to kill your opponent deliberatly, but to wound him enough so that you could be seen as having won the fight. Winning was the obvious way to survive and get popular.

Now supposing you were on the looosing end.

Well, its the crowd that decide what happens to you after you have been injured. The Crowd appeal to the Emporar en masse, either calling for his execution, or calling for his release. The Emporar had the final decision...but to ignore the crowd to much would turn the mob against him...outside of the games, and his political stability would become...somewhat uneasy.

BUT The latest thoughts of the whole Gladiatorial games is that during these duels, actually most Gladiators were spared. The reason why? EXACTLY what you saw in each of Jens Pulvers last five defeats.

IF The fighter has shown heart, is well know, and is well loved...the Crowd will ensure that regardless of his loss, he live to fight again (presuming he doesnt die of his injuries obviously) Now...if they were popular enough, then when they finally were executed...they were actually laid to rest in specific graveyards reserved for Gladiators.

Here is another thing...NOT all Gladiators were forced into the occupation. A lot were simply in it because they either enjoyed fighting, or they wanted the good money. Meaning...if they survived, they could quit as a Gladiator at any time...and those who were forced into it as a bizzare form of state bondage, well...they could be awarded their freedom depending on their performance.

The Crowd often spared SEVEN IN EVERY EIGHT Losses. This means that on a UFC sized Gladiator Card of say about Eleven Fighters...Nine of the Loosers would be spared, because of perfomance and heart.....Isnt it interesting, that in fifteen years of UFC ONLY Randy Couture and Jens Pulver have mastered continually this ability...of bassically letting them off any losses...any others...only manage it on exceptional occasions....The Mob of the UFC fans is thus actually far harsher on UFC fighters then the Mob of Rome was on Gladiators.

Either all the Roman Gladiators were as Charasmatic as Randy Couture and Jens Pulver...unlikely...OR the Mob is actually less civilized now then it was then.

Funny...As the Fighters have become more civilized...the Mob has got more blood thirsty...Happens after every card....This past WEC, the Mob Spared Jens Pulver...but executed Brian Bowles
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

O I just gotta say, this is the SWEETEST walk-out t-shirt EVER!

More evidence that Jens Pulver is the man. If you wanna buy it, it's only $28 - http://shop.tapout.com/index.cfm?fa=...&parentId=5982
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Agreed.. win/lose I do like to watch him fight!