Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM
annamal

Default Jesus Camp

Wow, they seem a little young for that kind of thing. This is a clip of an evangelical kids camp where they get a little wild with the kids. This isn't new but it's the first time I've seen it. Would you send your kids to that? I don't think I would be comfortable with it. Teenagers maybe, depending on their maturity level. But these are really young kids. They're not even old enough to be accountable I don't think. Maybe this is normal to some of you. I ain't trying to judge. This woman, Becky somebody, says she wants to see kids lay down their lives for the gospel. She wants to see kids die?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fq4wZ_lQjc

This is Bill Maher's take on it. He goes a little rabid on this christian woman at one point. What a douche (is that unchristianlike to say?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309MCU8TonE
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Wow, they seem a little young for that kind of thing. This is a clip of an evangelical kids camp where they get a little wild with the kids. This isn't new but it's the first time I've seen it. Would you send your kids to that? I don't think I would be comfortable with it. Teenagers maybe, depending on their maturity level. But these are really young kids. They're not even old enough to be accountable I don't think. Maybe this is normal to some of you. I ain't trying to judge. This woman, Becky somebody, says she wants to see kids lay down their lives for the gospel. She wants to see kids die?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fq4wZ_lQjc

This is Bill Maher's take on it. He goes a little rabid on this christian woman at one point. What a douche (is that unchristianlike to say?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309MCU8TonE
Keep in mind this was done by a very liberal documentary and they skewed it to make Christinas look wacky on person. I know some of the people featured on the movie. part of it was filmed in Missouri. Those people are very passionate about their faith and are willing to die for the Gospel. We should all be ready to die for it. If we are not then it is not really that important to us. Becky is wild but she would do anything for those kids.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
annamal

Sure I understand how the media works. Ya gotta take what they say with a grain of salt. Or maybe a truckload. And yes as adults we should be ready to die. But I don't think kids that young are old enough to understand these kinds of issues. Your brain doesn't even finish developing until your early twenties.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Sure I understand how the media works. Ya gotta take what they say with a grain of salt. Or maybe a truckload. And yes as adults we should be ready to die. But I don't think kids that young are old enough to understand these kinds of issues. Your brain doesn't even finish developing until your early twenties.
Age of accountability. If you know right from wrong you should be able to defend it and those kids could and that is what scared the liberals. Those kids know their bible.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 PM
eric84

What I would question about this is, is it doing your duty by raising up the kids the right way, or is it more along the lines of brainwashing. As Chris mentions there is the liberal slant on the video, so I would have no idea, but watching the video, it did seem very much like brainwashing. I think with any religion there is the line between raising them the right way, and just warping children's thought process. It seemed a bit overboard, but many Christians might argue this is what we need in the world.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
What I would question about this is, is it doing your duty by raising up the kids the right way, or is it more along the lines of brainwashing. As Chris mentions there is the liberal slant on the video, so I would have no idea, but watching the video, it did seem very much like brainwashing. I think with any religion there is the line between raising them the right way, and just warping children's thought process. It seemed a bit overboard, but many Christians might argue this is what we need in the world.
That was purly editing Eric. Those families are just good Christian people who raise their kids biblical. They left out most of the context.