Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
annamal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Man, that's a tough situation. Being a conservative Christian on a very liberal urban campus has landed me in a ton of these kinds of problems. I usually find that if I voice my complaints without being angry or accusatory that the others in the situation are very understanding & accommodating.

For example: I didn't drink until I turned 21. My roommates all drank & we regularly had parties at our place. Just about every weekend, I'd end up having this conversation:

Friend: "Hey man, you wanna beer?"
Me: "No thanks, dude, I dont' drink."
Friend: "Wha..Why not?"
Me: "Cause I'm not 21."
Friend: "Yeah, well so what, there's no cops here!"
Me: "Yeah, but that's what the law is, so that's what I'm gonna do."
Friend: "Yeah, but the law's not fair! I mean, we can vote or go in the Army & get shot at 18!"
Me: "Hey, man, I'd love to be allowed to drink at 18, but that's not the law."
Friend: "Well if you wanna drink then why don't you?"
Me: "Well, because the Bible says that we're to respect the government that God has placed in power over us & so, as a Christian, I believe I need to respect the drinking age."
Friend: "O, the Bible, huh? So I guess you thin we're all a bunch of sinners, huh?"
Me: "Well, yeah, but that includes me. I mean, just 'cause I don't drink doesn't mean I'm perfect. I'm just as sinful as anyone else around."

Surprisingly, I got to share my faith a lot because of my decision to wait for 21. I'm not sure how many of my friends remember my testimony, but hey: I gave it any how!!
Awesome

Have you ever had to do it with family? Is it easier or harder? I don't think that I've ever witnessed to anyone. Not in words anyway. Well, I did start discussing my new beliefs with my sister yesterday. It's weird, she is still very stuck in the rigid rule centered way we were raised, believing that to be right, and yet, she doesn't live it. AT ALL. Hasn't been involved with that church for probably ten years. And yet she still holds to those beliefs. I don't get it at all. I tried to explain to her why I believe differently now and she accuses me of sounding like our father. Which is crazy, and makes no sense either, because our dad who also hasn't been involved with the church in ten years, also would hold strong to the beliefs of this church. I don't get my family at all. I really think it would be easier to talk about with a total stranger. At least my other sister gets it.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Awesome

Have you ever had to do it with family? Is it easier or harder? I don't think that I've ever witnessed to anyone. Not in words anyway. Well, I did start discussing my new beliefs with my sister yesterday. It's weird, she is still very stuck in the rigid rule centered way we were raised, believing that to be right, and yet, she doesn't live it. AT ALL. Hasn't been involved with that church for probably ten years. And yet she still holds to those beliefs. I don't get it at all. I tried to explain to her why I believe differently now and she accuses me of sounding like our father. Which is crazy, and makes no sense either, because our dad who also hasn't been involved with the church in ten years, also would hold strong to the beliefs of this church. I don't get my family at all. I really think it would be easier to talk about with a total stranger. At least my other sister gets it.
Unfortunately, yes. My dad's side of the family is of questionable standing in terms of salvation. He & his siblings (he's the oldest of four) were raised Catholic, but only one of his sisters still goes to church anymore. That left his mom (before she passed away about 2 years ago), his youngest sister & his little brother & their families not attending church, but still believing they were saved because they had been baptized & taken their first communion. I still don't know whether or not my Gran believed before she died.