Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-07-2010, 04:14 AM

Default Parents Let Infant Starve To Death To Care for "Virtual" Child

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ual-child.html

Quote:
Korean couple let baby starve to death while caring for virtual child

An internet-obsessed Korean couple allegedly allowed their infant daughter to starve to death while they cared for their virtual child, police said on Friday.

Kim Yoo-chul, 41, and his partner Choi Mi-sun, 25, fed their three-month-old baby only on visits home between 12-hour sessions at a neighbourhood internet cafe, where they were raising an avatar daughter in a Second-Life-style game called Prius online, police said.

Leaving their real daughter at their home in a suburb of Seoul to fend for herself, the pair, who were unemployed, spent hours role-playing in the virtual reality game, which allows users to choose a career and friends, granting them offspring as a reward for passing a certain level.

The pair became obsessed with nurturing their virtual daughter, called Anima, but neglected their real daughter, who was not named.

Eventually, the couple returned home after one 12-hour session in September to find the child dead and called police. The pair were arrested on Friday after an autopsy showed that the baby died from prolonged malnutrition.

"The couple seemed to have lost their will to live a normal life, because they didn't have jobs and gave birth to a premature baby," Chung Jin-won, a police officer in Suwon, the Seoul suburb, told the Yonhap news agency.

"They indulged themselves in the online game of raising a virtual character so as to escape from reality, which led to the death of their real baby."
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 AM

It breaks my heart when I hear of a child's death; this tragedy is incomprehensible, it really is. WTF is going on? I just CAN'T understand how people can be so divorced from reality. Is it the computer? Is it busy lives? Stupidity? I need some answers because I just can't seem to accept that sh** like this happens in the real world.

I can say in all honesty that I hope someone sterilizes both of these monsters.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Stump Rules!

Is that even a real story?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Is that even a real story?
I've heard of stuff like this before, but never involving the death of a child. However, seeing what kind of hold that online gaming has on some people, I have no trouble at all believing it.

Online game addiction is gold mine for psychological research and it shoots down a lot of old theories on human behavior, I don't understand why more doctors aren't studying it's long term effects on people.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Stump Rules!

On line gaming...on line babying...tragic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've heard of stuff like this before, but never involving the death of a child. However, seeing what kind of hold that online gaming has on some people, I have no trouble at all believing it.

Online game addiction is gold mine for psychological research and it shoots down a lot of old theories on human behavior, I don't understand why more doctors aren't studying it's long term effects on people.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
we dont know what those are. Video games havent been around long enough

I covered violent video games, briefly in my thesis.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Murder.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
we dont know what those are. Video games havent been around long enough

I covered violent video games, briefly in my thesis.
I'm curious what you found out...Besides wasn't your thesis on Pro Rasslin?

This isn't even unusual to me I hear stories about this all the time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A World of Warcraft gamer apparently lost his cool when Mom told him to keep the noise level down.

27-year-old James Swan was still living with his mother when he tried to choke her to death Sunday night.

Before the incident, he shared a room with his five younger siblings and played World of Warcraft in his little corner of the room. Other than the siblings and his mother, PC gamer James Swan also shared the house with his grandfather.

On the night of the incident, the mother was jolted awake by shouts coming from Swan's room. Concerned, she entered to find him drunk and playing the MMORPG around 10 p.m.

According to True Crime Report, the mother politely asked him to be mindful of her and his five siblings, and to keep the noise level down. When he refused to remain quiet, she politely asked him to be quiet again.

Suddenly enraged by her constant interruptions, Swan allegedly grabbed his mother by the hair and threw her on the bed. One of his little brothers, already jolted awake by Swan's antics, tried to intervene and was also thrown to the bed.

The report claims that the mother ran from the room to call 911. Swan quickly followed, pulled the phone out of the wall, and then smashed his own head through the kitchen wall.

With his head bleeding, Swan allegedly wrestled his mother to the floor and tried to strangle her, threatening to kill her. The grandfather entered the scene and tried to stop the struggle without any success.

Swan said he was also going to kill the grandfather.

Intent on being the last man standing, the grandfather retrieved his revolver. Both Swan and the elder man struggled with the gun until it discharged, grazing Swan's head and shooting through the kitchen window. Apparently this did the trick, as Swan was thus taken to the hospital, and then arrested thereafter.

The report did not specify specific charges or sentencing. There was also no indication as to what triggered the sudden outbreak. It may be that a certain group of campers wouldn't leave an area, sending him over the edge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

This is really just tragic, but I can understand the feeling of needing to escape. I went through a bout of that about a month or so ago when my own job search felt pretty pointless. I wasn't anywhere near the level of letting a child die or strangling my mom (my little brother, maybe, but that's perfectly normal, right? ), but I did find myself looking for any possible excuse (watching fights online, checking the forums, re-runs of I Dream of Jeannie on WGN, etc.) to avoid looking for a job & "inevitably" gt rejected again. It was a tough funk to break out of, but I can't imagine wallowing in enough depression & self-pity to actually cast myself completely into a secondary life.

O, & before y'all start worrying about my mental health (or at least more so than usual, anyhow), I just had an awesome phone interview on Friday & will be putting in an application with the Henrico PD tomorrow. Neither are sure things, but I know that both want to hire & soon, so it's looking good.