Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
so you think toney is gonna be able to shoulder roll in mma and fight mma the way he boxes... hell get kneed or kicked in the face... Two totally difference sports and toney is best boxing on the inside which is in takedown range.... A boxer that will do well in mma is wlad klitchko cus he can use his reach like sylvia except with actuall boxing skill if he learned some sprawl
Yeah, it's two different sports, and NO I am not saying that Toney would try to fight in MMA the same way he boxes, but that don't mean that if he utilized his strengths from boxing that he would definitely get kicked in the face. As quick as a kick could get thrown, or somebody could shoot for a takedown, he could pop off a combo and lay a guy out. That's what makes it interesting.

You may think he's gonna get taken down and pounded out, and you may be right, but it's not cut and dry.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
lets hope he can deal with kicks better than ray mercer can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXkcY...layer_embedded

it starts at 3:50 of the video. one of the biggest problems I have with boxers coming into mma is their ego and the fact that they think boxing is all they need to win which has already been proven to be completely false. at least when wrestlers or jiu jitsu guys come into mma they know that they have to be as well rounded as they can. not to mention he is training under juanito who...well lets just say he isnt going to make his grappling or kicks any better.
That might be what James Toney says in the press, but he's not dumb, and he knows he has to be careful. With that being said, you are not going to teach an old dog a whole bag of new tricks either. He knows what he is working with and thinks he can compete. I think when you look at some of the scrubs, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, that make it on to UFC cards, a guy like James Toney is more than deserving of a chance to fight.

Don't confuse arrogance with confidence. If you were 41 years old and a Hall of Fame boxer you wouldn't come out and act like your gonna get your ass kicked, in anything.

As for Mercer, it's one thing to show clips of him against Bonjasky in K-1 or even Kimbo, but why not show the other side of the coin and watch the clip where he knocks out the former UFC HW champ with one punch in under 10 seconds?

Last edited by J.B.; 03-05-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That might be what James Toney says in the press, but he's not dumb, and he knows he has to be careful. With that being said, you are not going to teach an old dog a whole bag of new tricks either. He knows what he is working with and thinks he can compete. I think when you look at some of the scrubs, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, that make it on to UFC cards, a guy like James Toney is more than deserving of a chance to fight.

Don't confuse arrogance with confidence. If you were 41 years old and a Hall of Fame boxer you wouldn't come out and act like your gonna get your ass kicked, in anything.

As for Mercer, it's one thing to show clips of him against Bonjasky in K-1 or even Kimbo, but why not show the other side of the coin and watch the clip where he knocks out the former UFC HW champ with one punch in under 10 seconds?
well tim was foolish enough to try and box a boxer. I never said that any mixed martial artist would outbox toney, im saying they will beat him with kicks and knees and the clinch and submissions. Stuff that they drill day in and day out that toney knows nothing about. if a fighter tries to stand and throw hands with toney then yes he probably will lose and deservedly so. and yes he is deserving of a chance to fight compared to people who shouldnt have ever fought in the ufc (kimbo). he may win a fight or two who knows but he will never be champion without being well rounded. period. his best chance is at lhw which has mostly strikers.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
well tim was foolish enough to try and box a boxer. I never said that any mixed martial artist would outbox toney, im saying they will beat him with kicks and knees and the clinch and submissions. Stuff that they drill day in and day out that toney knows nothing about. if a fighter tries to stand and throw hands with toney then yes he probably will lose and deservedly so. and yes he is deserving of a chance to fight compared to people who shouldnt have ever fought in the ufc (kimbo). he may win a fight or two who knows but he will never be champion without being well rounded. period. his best chance is at lhw which has mostly strikers.
I agree with you that he is not a well rounded MMA fighter, but that doesn't mean he can't still be successful. You never know, he could actually take it seriously and learn some things. I could see him being more interested in some of the names in the LHW division, but I have my doubts that he would want to actually cut that much weight at his age. Now we just wait and see.