Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default WTF!

A 42-year-old woman in Queensland has been killed after she was struck in the head by what is believed to be a metal pipe thrown up by a grass cutter.

The victim, who has not been named, was walking to work in Townsville when the accident happened. Police said a tractor pulling a grass cutter ran over a steel pipe, causing it to fly up into the air.

The woman was decapitated, and died instantly.

Investigations are continuing into the how the victim was struck and precisely how she sustained her horrendous injuries.

A Queensland police spokeswoman told the Daily Telegraph that the tractor lawnmower had been working nearby at the time the woman was walking past.

"She had been walking along the footpath when she was hit in the head by a piece of flying metal," the spokeswoman added. "The tractor was operating nearby and she was struck in the head. We don't know if it was a piece of metal or if it was another object."

Geoff Eales, a local businessman, told the Townsville Bulletin that his staff had been left distressed by the incident.

"The policewoman said it was the worst thing she had seen in 15 years," he said. "At the end of the day there is no other explanation than that it was bad luck. It was a one-in-a-million situation. If she had been one second later, or one second earlier, it wouldn't have happened."

The male tractor driver, an unnamed 48-year-old private contractor, was taken to hospital suffering from shock.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
DonnaMaria

wow..........

well.......there is no doubt that it was her time to GO!

seriously.....that is horrible.....really horrible.

but it CAN happen easily. those tractors kick up a lot of stuff.
i didn't believe how deadly they could be until i was mowing one afternoon, and i hit some kind of metal thing that was in the ground

and it flew up and lodged into the side of my barn.........

i make my girls stay inside the house now when i mow........
Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 AM

O.M.G.

I had no idea something like that could happen. At least it was over with quickly, but still, it's just horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
i didn't believe how deadly they could be until i was mowing one afternoon, and i hit some kind of metal thing that was in the ground and it flew up and lodged into the side of my barn.
Creepy!

...although I'm really impressed that you can drive a tractor, I don't even use my husband's riding mower...
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

It's like Final Destination.....

Mom used to make us wear combat boots when we had to mow the yard in case things would fly out from under it to cut us.

~Amy
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 AM
bradwright

thats why my wife can never get me to cut the grass...its just way to dangerous.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Garandshooter

I have my son wear safety glasses, and earmuffs to mow. I'm sure he doesn't like it but better then being deaf and blind. I think I'll stay inside when he mows this year.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Mac

That actually happens more often than you think , You get a tractor pulling a bush hog or a mower " NOT A GRASS CUTTER DAVE!! LOL" and some of those blades weigh over a 70 pounds or more , and they are spinning REALLY fast. they have hit fence posts before and sent them flying through people , chunks of concrete etc all become death instruments.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
"The policewoman said it was the worst thing she had seen in 15 years," .

Makes ya wonder what they saw 15 years ago doesnt it lol , Maybe it was 2 decapitated people.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
That actually happens more often than you think , You get a tractor pulling a bush hog or a mower " NOT A GRASS CUTTER DAVE!! LOL" and some of those blades weigh over a 70 pounds or more , and they are spinning REALLY fast. they have hit fence posts before and sent them flying through people , chunks of concrete etc all become death instruments.
death instruments. Not something I hear everyday.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 AM
TENNESSEAN

a friend of mine was bush hogging. his wife stepped out on the front porch and waved him in for lunch. he was going to make a pass about 100ft from the house before he stopped for lunch. he hit a rock and it hit his wife in the head. killed her instantly standing on the front porch. she was in her early 40's. very bad deal.

another friend was cleaning a fence row and his brother drove by and run over his foot. it cut all his toes off except the big toe. we were about 12 or 13 when that happen and to this day every one still calls him "one toe"