Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Hughes fanboy

Default How do you handle "ribbing"?

Just have something on my mind. I'm kind of a joker at work, like to have fun and make people smile. I rib people from time to time, but I never make them feel bad about themselves in doing so (least I don't think i do). I had a situation recently when three co-workers were making "cracks" about me right in front of my desk, and I didn't know how to respond because I was angry so I kept it inside which just made me angrier the more I stewed over it. I think they could even sense it a bit because they lowered their tone, but I was still upset because one of them (someone who is practically family to me) announced to the others that "everyone makes fun of him"

I would like to think I'm being paranoid is all, but one of the co-workers and I really just don't get along. We have sort of in the past, but not for long. There is some tension whenever she is around.

Anyone been through something like this???
How do you diffuse, dissuade something like this? It is really bothering me.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Mac

I deal it out A TON!! But you gotta be ready to get it back . But there are some lines that can be crossed , and i will say i wont take it from just anyone . Just like i wont go into a group of guys i dont know and start crackin jokes on one of em , thats a good way to get a dentist appointment , But if i know them then its no holds barred.

And the same way if you turn it around . if we are buddies then by all means if i look to long at a fat girl , give me a hard time , then whenever we get to the job , be sure and tell the guys im working with that i was checkin out a biggun LOL . But if its someone that i dont know or doesnt know me that well then ill probably get a little mad ,
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Just have something on my mind. I'm kind of a joker at work, like to have fun and make people smile. I rib people from time to time, but I never make them feel bad about themselves in doing so (least I don't think i do). I had a situation recently when three co-workers were making "cracks" about me right in front of my desk, and I didn't know how to respond because I was angry so I kept it inside which just made me angrier the more I stewed over it. I think they could even sense it a bit because they lowered their tone, but I was still upset because one of them (someone who is practically family to me) announced to the others that "everyone makes fun of him"

I would like to think I'm being paranoid is all, but one of the co-workers and I really just don't get along. We have sort of in the past, but not for long. There is some tension whenever she is around.

Anyone been through something like this???
How do you diffuse, dissuade something like this? It is really bothering me.
The idea of ribbing somebody is to upset them, but only to a certain degree.

If they are talking about you behind your back, or trying to hide it from you, that's not ribbing.

If it is something that really bothers you, and you really care about the people, then try talking about it with them. Otherwise, I wouldn't even care if I were you.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Mac

See , Like , if i say that Llamafighters homosexual tendancies make me feel uncomfortable then he knows thats a joke , were buddies , he probably isnt going to take it to bad .

Or if Mark pops up in this thread and says " Hey Mac , you were a little rough on my goats last night" im gonna laugh , tell my wife that Marks picking on me again , and then make fun of Marks bad choice of haircut or lack thereof .

But if someone i dont like comes in and makes those comments i probably wont take it as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Miss Foxy

Take it with a grain of salt your better then that!! Don't let anyone get to you in the workplace..
Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I deal it out A TON!! But you gotta be ready to get it back . But there are some lines that can be crossed , and i will say i wont take it from just anyone . Just like i wont go into a group of guys i dont know and start crackin jokes on one of em , thats a good way to get a dentist appointment , But if i know them then its no holds barred.

And the same way if you turn it around . if we are buddies then by all means if i look to long at a fat girl , give me a hard time , then whenever we get to the job , be sure and tell the guys im working with that i was checkin out a biggun LOL . But if its someone that i dont know or doesnt know me that well then ill probably get a little mad ,
who could you possibly not like on here???

yeah, i can deal it out real good and take it ... i think i sometimes take it too far with some people who can't take it, i usually can tell by their facial expressions, so i tone it down real quick
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
who could you possibly not like on here???
Sounds to me like you are asking for.......wait for it....... a LIST?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
See , Like , if i say that Llamafighters homosexual tendancies make me feel uncomfortable then he knows thats a joke , were buddies , he probably isnt going to take it to bad .

Or if Mark pops up in this thread and says " Hey Mac , you were a little rough on my goats last night" im gonna laugh , tell my wife that Marks picking on me again , and then make fun of Marks bad choice of haircut or lack thereof .

But if someone i dont like comes in and makes those comments i probably wont take it as well.
Now Mac, you know the truth dont hurt Llamafighters feelings, and you are always rough on Marks goats, and yes Marks haircuts are done with a bowl, heck we all know that, and I will say it before you do, keep you beagle off the streets and it wont have a litter of Silverbacks.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Now Mac, you know the truth dont hurt Llamafighters feelings, and you are always rough on Marks goats, and yes Marks haircuts are done with a bowl, heck we all know that, and I will say it before you do, keep you beagle off the streets and it wont have a litter of Silverbacks.
LOL and then there was Silverback

Done with a bowl ? Your apparently under the assumption that his head has even seen a pair of clippers.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Oddtodd76

Hey Mac,

My goat don't want nuthin to do with you!