Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM
surveyorshawn

Default Obamacare 2.0

Not sure if this is true, but I got it in an email today:

It's back - ObamaCare 2.0, worse than the first
Call your senators and your representative today to insist that they vote "No" on socialized medicine.
February 24, 2010

President Obama, determined to press for the government takeover of our entire health care system, is reviving a tweaked version of the Senate health care "reform" bill. If possible, it's even worse than the one Sen. Harry Reid cobbled together in secret and then sprung on the country just before Christmas.

The president will hold a highly-publicized just-for-show "summit" Thursday in an effort to breathe life into his version of this monstrosity.

As our good friend Gary Bauer of the Campaign for Working Families and American Values points out, here are just some of the problems with the bill:

* The president is threatening to use what's called the "reconciliation process," a gimmick that will enable him to enact socialized medicine with just 51 votes in the Senate.
* A Rasmussen poll found that 58% of likely voters oppose both the Senate and House health care bills, and 61% want Congress to tear up both bills and start over. The American people have already made it clear they do not want the government takeover of health care.
* The president says his proposal will cost about $1 trillion, but the Congressional Budget Office says the language is too vague even to come up with an official cost estimate.
* Under his plan, senior citizens living off investment income will get hit with a new tax on so-called "unearned" income. (It's hardly "unearned" - you worked all your life to build those investments.)
* It extends the "Cornhusker kickback" to every state in the Union, essentially offering a bribe to every senator.
* It includes the unconstitutional mandate that every American buy insurance or pay a fine. (This means you will get taxed for not doing something!)
* It imposes price controls on the health insurance industry. Every time in history price controls have been used, they have resulted in shortages and rationing.
* It not only makes taxpayer funding of abortion a right, it provides for the direct funding of abortions through Community Health Centers and would lead to mandates that would require every private insurance plan to cover elective abortions.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't know about the last point but I believe all the other things you listed are valid parts of the new bill his admin released.

And the dems *are* threatening reconciliation but I don't know if they would be able to do so as that is a procedure technically reserved for budget bills.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I don't know about the last point but I believe all the other things you listed are valid parts of the new bill his admin released.

And the dems *are* threatening reconciliation but I don't know if they would be able to do so as that is a procedure technically reserved for budget bills.
Yes...they are going to try and use Reconciliation I reckon...

President Obama began the bipartisan health care summit Thursday morning by framing health care costs as a catastrophic drag on the American economy, and by imploring Republicans to abandon their talking points and engage in an open-minded discussion about how to improve health care delivery for all Americans.

"I hope that this isn't just political theater, where we're just playing to the cameras and criticizing each other, but instead are actually trying to solve the problem," Obama said to the Republicans and Democrats assembled in the Garden Room of Blair House in Washington. "That's what the American people are looking for."

But when the president turned the floor over to the Republicans, Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee put a challenge on the table for Obama and the Democratic leadership in the room.

"The American people have tried to say in every way they know how . . . they oppose the health care bill that passed the Senate on Christmas Eve," he said. "We believe we have a better idea. Take the ideas you mentioned and start over."

Alexander then asked Democrats to commit that they will not use reconciliation -- a process that requires 51 votes rather than 60 -- to pass health care in the Senate.

"Renounce this idea to use reconciliation to pass your version of the bill," Alexander said. "You can say this process has been used before, and it has, but not for something this big. It's not appropriate to use [for] 17 percent of the economy."

With reconciliation as a possibility, he concluded, "the rest of what we do today will not be relevant. The only thing bipartisan will be the opposition to the bill."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took the floor shortly after Alexander and slammed the Republican's contention that Americans do not want the Senate's bill.

"I would say to my friend Lamar, you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts." Reid cited a recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll that showed 58 percent of the American people would be "disappointed" if Congress did not pass health care reform this year.

As Reid concluded his remarks, he did not say reconciliation wasn't an option.

Nor did the president.