Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
annamal

Default Baptism by the Holy Spirit

In the early days of the Christian church it talks about this happening again and again and again both to jews and gentiles, to large groups of believers and to single individuals. Does this still occur? I haven't heard about it. I know there's some fruitcake religions out there where people get all out of control and have seizure-like-fits and start jabbering nonsense and they call it speaking in tongues, which of course is bullshido, but other than that?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
In the early days of the Christian church it talks about this happening again and again and again both to jews and gentiles, to large groups of believers and to single individuals. Does this still occur? I haven't heard about it. I know there's some fruitcake religions out there where people get all out of control and have seizure-like-fits and start jabbering nonsense and they call it speaking in tongues, which of course is bullshido, but other than that?
This is a can of worms. Many on this forum are not Pentecostal and thus will say no and probably spout some creed they learned from their denomination. I am pentecostal and know for a fact it still happens but I think it is better to focus on issues that affect salvation then to chase an issue that divides. There is nowhere in scripture where it says it ends. So why one would assume it does is purely their opinion and interpolation. But since you can still go to heaven and not speak in tongues it should be a mountain of divide.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 AM
annamal

Okey dokey, I apologize, I did not mean to be offensive to you or your religion. Adventists are very ummm uptight and reserved about things like that and I tend to be rather skeptical of things I haven't witnessed as well. I do think it's possible in these days and I would like to see it happen. It is becoming apparent to me lately that not everything I was raised to believe is correct. The solid rock I thought I was standing on is crumbling. I don't know where to step now. But I thank you for your time in answering my questions.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamal View Post
Okey dokey, I apologize, I did not mean to be offensive to you or your religion. Adventists are very ummm uptight and reserved about things like that and I tend to be rather skeptical of things I haven't witnessed as well. I do think it's possible in these days and I would like to see it happen. It is becoming apparent to me lately that not everything I was raised to believe is correct. The solid rock I thought I was standing on is crumbling. I don't know where to step now. But I thank you for your time in answering my questions.
Not offending me at all man. I just wanted to warn you because many on here have very thin skin and hold the dogmas more tightly then the scriptures. I love your questions. If you have any that you think might statr a thunder storm feel free to PM me or any other of the regulars I know they will love to help as much as they can.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
This is a can of worms. Many on this forum are not Pentecostal and thus will say no and probably spout some creed they learned from their denomination. I am pentecostal and know for a fact it still happens but I think it is better to focus on issues that affect salvation then to chase an issue that divides. There is nowhere in scripture where it says it ends. So why one would assume it does is purely their opinion and interpolation. But since you can still go to heaven and not speak in tongues it should be a mountain of divide.
INDEED

The Technical answer is, obviously it happens everytime a person is saved....and that doesnt have to be a dramatic event.

The other answer is that some denominations believe that one can invoke the Spirit to actually move across a congregation and produce some of the signs and gifts the early church record....the truth of that is that I reckon sometimes its true...but sometimes it isnt...I think hysteria can produce the same sort of effects, I worry that it might become an ocalt like gateway or a distraction...and the problem is that a certain doctrine is widely held (not by me, but by many) which say that the signs and wonders of the early church had a functional purpose, and since that function is gone, there is no need for GOD to act like that. For example, many will speak in tongues...which was actually a gift to aid missionaries in conversion when speaking to another in a foreign language, GOD literally overcame the language barrier, and when it was done for the purpose of phrophecy, GOD matched it up with someone who had the gift of Discernment and could translate what was being said...you can see how a modern invokation uses the gifts out of context for their purpose...their retort of course being thats its a form of worship in which the Spirit communicates to GOD.