Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 AM
atomdanger

Default Cotto training in MMA

Quote:
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...id=36:fighters

One day we'll see boxers transition into MMA at the prime of their career and not just when they're rolling down the hill of insignificance. Imagine if Pacquiao had six months of takedown defense. Dude would be the next...Pacquiao. Check out Kurt Pellegrino in this Ecko video getting pinned by Miguel Cotto. Oh, and what's up Bob Arum.
Wow, could be interesting.
How old is Cotto? 29.
Its possible....
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I gotta say I disagree with the part about Boxers transitioning in the prime of their career. The obvious question first is, why would any Boxer leave Boxing in the prime of their career to go fight MMA? The top fighters in Boxing are getting 7 and sometimes 8 figures for their fights. The UFC ain't paying that kind of dough. It's also silly of that writer, and an insult to MMA, to suggest that Manny Pacquiao would dominate in MMA the way he has in Boxing with only 6 months of takedown defense.

As for Cotto, he is a tough guy no doubt, and he hits hard, so he could definitely knock some people out with 4oz gloves. However, in my opinion he is pretty much on his way down the backside of his career as a fighter. I think the losses to Margarito and Pacquiao, along with the politics of Boxing, and the loss of his father recently have somewhat damaged him. I have no doubt that he will fight, and probably for the next 3 to 5 years at the least, but I doubt he will ever be the same.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I gotta say I disagree with the part about Boxers transitioning in the prime of their career. The obvious question first is, why would any Boxer leave Boxing in the prime of their career to go fight MMA? The top fighters in Boxing are getting 7 and sometimes 8 figures for their fights. The UFC ain't paying that kind of dough. It's also silly of that writer, and an insult to MMA, to suggest that Manny Pacquiao would dominate in MMA the way he has in Boxing with only 6 months of takedown defense.

As for Cotto, he is a tough guy no doubt, and he hits hard, so he could definitely knock some people out with 4oz gloves. However, in my opinion he is pretty much on his way down the backside of his career as a fighter. I think the losses to Margarito and Pacquiao, along with the politics of Boxing, and the loss of his father recently have somewhat damaged him. I have no doubt that he will fight, and probably for the next 3 to 5 years at the least, but I doubt he will ever be the same.
Yeah I wouldn't say he is in his peak either.
and you're right, at this point the money just isn't there for any of those guys to come over.