Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Dan Miller's Son Undergoes Successful Kidney Transplant Surgery

This is from more than a week ago. Sorry for not posting it sooner, but I knew y'all would want to know!
Quote:
Sep 7, 2012 - "The toughest Miller of them all" continues to live up to his moniker.

Daniel James Miller Jr., the two-year-old son of UFC fighter Dan Miller, underwent successful kidney transplant surgery on Thursday at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

"Surgery went well today," Miller tweeted. "Never thought I'd be so happy to see some pee!"

Miller Jr. has been battling polycystic kidney disease (PKD) since he was born. According to the U.S. National Library of Medecine, "PKD is a kidney disorder passed down through families in which many cysts form in the kidneys, causing them to become enlarged." The young Miller received his new kidney from his aunt, Kathy Frick.

According to Miller's coach and manager Mike Constantino of AMA Fight Club, Miller Jr. urinated on Thursday following the surgery for the first time since 2010, which was obviously a great first sign that the transplant was a success. Miller's brother, UFC lightweight Jim Miller, tweeted a picture of the moment.

Miller Jr. will remain hospitalized for undetermined amount of time, but his aunt is expected to be released this weekend.

Miller was scheduled to fight Sean Pierson at UFC 152 on Sept. 22, but he withdrew from the fight once the transplant surgery was set for this month. Miller and his wife, Kristen, had been waiting for Miller Jr. to gain enough weight to be eligible for the surgery and also fit into the hospital's busy schedule. The surgery was originally scheduled for Sept. 16, but it was then moved up to Thursday.

According to Constantino, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and president Dana White volunteered to pay any additional costs not covered by insurance. It is unclear at this time how much the surgery will cost the family.

Miller Jr. will need to be on anti-rejection medicine for the rest of his life. You can learn more about his story and donate to the Miller family by visiting the Fund a Fighter Web site.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 AM

Oh, what wonderful news! I pray everything goes well with his new kidney, and also praying for Daniel's Aunt Kathy in her recovery.

Quote:
According to Constantino, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and president Dana White volunteered to pay any additional costs not covered by insurance. It is unclear at this time how much the surgery will cost the family.
That is a wonderful thing for them to do.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM

great news! I hope his road to recovery goes as well as the surgery did.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Hailey's Dad

Great news and awesome of Lorenzo and Dana to cover the extra costs. Say what you will about how the UFC treats fighters, this one thing alone makes them awesome.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome! Thanks for digging that up and posting it. I love stories like this.

~Amy

My son made this for me: