Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Lyoto Machida Wanted to Fight Jon Jones in Brazil

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Aug 24, 2012 - Lyoto Machida's management has made its first statement since the former UFC light heavyweight champion decided to turn down an offer to fight Jon Jones on Sept. 22.

According the press release sent out through the Black House camp on Friday afternoon, Machida turned down the bout because he felt four weeks was inadequate time to prepare for a fight with the current light heavyweight champion.

"I want to serve the UFC and recapture the belt. I always respect my opponent," Machida stated. "For those reasons, I must prepare myself in the manner I believe in."

After defeating Ryan Bader via knockout at UFC on FOX 4 on Aug. 4, Machida was slated for the next shot at the light heavyweight belt, following the planned Sept. 1 Jones-Dan Henderson fight.

In the wake of Thursday's UFC 151 cancellation, UFC president Dana White said that Jones would instead fight Machida on Sept. 22 in Toronto.

According to Friday's press release, Machida wanted to take the fight on the Oct. 13 event in Rio de Janeiro. The UFC instead offered the title shot to Vitor Belfort, who accepted and will fight Jones in Toronto.
Here's the letter he issued:
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Student of the Sport

I think this is really what should have happened. Machida is the #1 contender and his request for that date is not unreasonable. I am guessing Jones or the UFC were set on Jones fighting in Toronto and there was no negotiating. Instead we get Jones/Belfort where Belfort gets a title shot while not fighting in that division and with many wasn't even in talks to fight for the title at MW anytime soon. The situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense....but this fight does interest me.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 PM

I also agree with Machida's decision. The guy lost already to Jones. He needs time to come up with a game plan and train for that game plan. The guy just fought. It's not like he's been preparing for a championship fight. There's a lot on the line. Should he have accepted the fight and loses it would be awhile before he got back.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I think this is really what should have happened. Machida is the #1 contender and his request for that date is not unreasonable. I am guessing Jones or the UFC were set on Jones fighting in Toronto and there was no negotiating. Instead we get Jones/Belfort where Belfort gets a title shot while not fighting in that division and with many wasn't even in talks to fight for the title at MW anytime soon. The situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense....but this fight does interest me.
Do fighters normally have a say so on when and where they fight?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Do fighters normally have a say so on when and where they fight?
I'm not sure if they do or not. My thought was that being that he is the #1 contender and this fight makes the most sense why not just set a date that works for both of them.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I'm not sure if they do or not. My thought was that being that he is the #1 contender and this fight makes the most sense why not just set a date that works for both of them.
I was actually referring to Jones where you said, "I'm guessing Jones or the UFC were set on Jones fighting in Toronto and there was no negotiating." I agree with your thoughts on this, why couldn't they keep Jones/Machida and just set a date that works for both of them.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 AM

Why give Jones a fight period? They should have just put him on the shelf and not let him fight until next year.