Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default KS governor bans Sharia Law with bill

Thought I'd posted this on here the other day, but I guess not. Anyways, I love the idea and I even went as far as to e-mail each and every representative I have in TX:

Gov. Rick Perry
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Senator John Cornyn
Congressman Henry Cuellar
TX Speaker of the House Joe Strauss
TX State Senator Judith Zaffirini
TX State Rep John Langston Kuempel
TX State Rep Doug Miller
TX State Rep Joe Farias

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47574780...ime_and_courts
Quote:
Kansas governor signs 'Shariah bill' to ban Islamic law

Bill 'makes it clear that Kansas courts will rely exclusively on the laws of our state and our nation'; critics say it is discriminatory

updated 5/26/2012 7:12:35 AM ET

KANSAS CITY, Kansas Republican Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed a bill aimed at keeping state courts and agencies from using Islamic or other non-U.S. laws when making decisions, his office said on Friday, drawing criticism from a national Muslim group.
The law has been dubbed the "Shariah bill" because critics say it targets the Islamic legal code. Shariah, or Islamic law, covers all aspects of Muslim life, including religious obligations and financial dealings. Opponents of state bans say they could nullify wills or legal contracts between Muslims.

Supporters said the law will reassure foreigners in Kansas that state laws and the U.S. Constitution would protect them. Opponents said it singled out Muslims for ridicule and was unnecessary because American laws prevail on U.S. soil.

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, a spokeswoman for the governor, said in an e-mail that the bill "makes it clear that Kansas courts will rely exclusively on the laws of our state and our nation when deciding cases and will not consider the laws of foreign jurisdictions."

South Dakota lawmakers tackle 'Shariah question'

Legislators supporting the bill said there were many cases around the country where judges or state agencies cited Shariah law in deciding cases, especially involving divorce-related custody and property matters where Islamic code differs from U.S. law.

'Islam-phobia'

The Council on American-Islamic Relations in Washington denounced the Kansas law and said it is considering legal action.

Hate crime? Iraqi woman's death in Calif. has Muslims wondering

About 20 states have considered similar legislation but the Kansas law is the only one signed in recent weeks, council spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said.

"It's unfortunate the governor chose to pander to the growing Islam-phobia in our society that has led to introduction of similar unconstitutional and un-American legislation in dozens of state legislatures," Hooper said.

Video: Anti-Muslim sentiment on the rise in U.S. (on this page)

Hooper said legislators have often referred to Shariah law in supporting such legislation, but he said they take the word out of the bill to stave off legal challenges. The Kansas bill does not mention Shariah.

Federal courts struck down an Oklahoma law voters approved in 2010 that barred state judges from considering Shariah law in making decisions. The court called the law discriminatory.

Copyright 2012 Thomson Reuters. Click for restrictions.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Received a reply from Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson a few moments ago regarding passing legislation in TX to ban Sharia Law. At least she opposes Sharia Law, but I don't think she read the article. Busy person. Here's her reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Dear Friend:
Thank you for contacting me regarding Shariah Law in the United States. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

I will oppose any legislation that would enforce Shariah Law in the United States. People who commit crimes are subject to the laws of the state or nation in which they commit them. The United States neither implements nor enforces Shariah Law.

I believe that transforming U.S. law and our court system to apply Shariah Law would be unacceptable, especially when dealing with our rights to free speech and freedom of religion.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov/