Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default NCAA Tournament Pick'Em

Time for Tournament Pick'em on Yahoo! Nobody can beat me, yeah, that includes you who is reading this right now...

To join my private group, just click the link below, click "join a group", click "join group", (you may have to sign in or register for a Yahoo! account), but use:

Group #82741
Password: kusucks

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

I'm in! Wait, guess this means I need to finalize a bracket, huh?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

I'm in too, and I plan on winning this year!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I'm in! Wait, guess this means I need to finalize a bracket, huh?
Yup, gotta finalize mine too, lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
kevint13's Avatar
kevint13 kevint13 is offline
Student of the Sport
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 684
Default

I'm in....but already had to change my bracket....With Melo ineligible with 'Cuse I had to set their exit a little sooner!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I'm in....but already had to change my bracket....With Melo ineligible with 'Cuse I had to set their exit a little sooner!
FABoulous logic!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I'm in....but already had to change my bracket....With Melo ineligible with 'Cuse I had to set their exit a little sooner!
I don't think it will be that significant. They still have Baye Keita (6'10") who is every bit as good as Melo (7'0"), but has played less. If you do a comparison between the numbers they produce and the number of minutes played, they're virtually the same player. Keita's just looking for his time to shine.

Here, I did a comparison using the stats of Keita as if he were playing the same number of minutes per game as Melo:

Minutes/Game:
- Melo - 25.4
- Keita - 11.6
- Thus, 25.4/11.6 = 2.2 is the mutiplier to use for Keita's stats in comparison to Melo's

Makes/Attempts/FG%:
- Melo - 3.3/5.8/56.6%
- Keita - 2.0/2.6/75.0%

Free Throws:
- Melo - 1.3/2.0/63.3%
- Keita - 1.1/1.5/68.2%

Off/Def/Reb:
- Melo - 2.7/3.2/5.8
- Keita - 2.0/3.1/5.1

AST/TO/STL/BLK/PG/PPG:
- Melo - 0.7/1.4/0.5/2.9/2.8/7.8
- Keita - 0.2/0.7/0.4/2.0/3.9/4.8

Sorry, I would do a table format, but this forum doesn't allow for HTML coding.

Anyways, if you look at it like this, they aren't much different stat-wise nor physically.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I don't think it will be that significant. They still have Baye Keita (6'10") who is every bit as good as Melo (7'0")
You know I love ya Rock, but you are way off on this one.

Numbers only go so far...gotta pass the eye test too...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Thought some people might enjoy this...one of my FB friends heard on the radio that the odds of picking the perfect bracket is 52 million times higher than to win the current 500 million MegaMillions lottery jackpot. I told him that's not true, and here's why:
Think of the sheer terms of numbers and combinations in filling out a 64-roster bracket with 6 total rounds [2 teams^(32+16+8+4+2+1)] = 2^63 versus a combination of 6 numbers with the highest being 55 (I think 55).

Anyways, the odds of winning the Megamillions jackpot is roughly 1:175,000,000 vs. the perfect bracket (calculated as 2^63 as shown why above): 1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Thus: 9223372036854775808 / 175000000 = 52,704,983,067
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions jackpot it 52 BILLION (not million) times greater than picking the perfect bracket.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Thought some people might enjoy this...one of my FB friends heard on the radio that the odds of picking the perfect bracket is 52 million times higher than to win the current 500 million MegaMillions lottery jackpot. I told him that's not true, and here's why:
Think of the sheer terms of numbers and combinations in filling out a 64-roster bracket with 6 total rounds [2 teams^(32+16+8+4+2+1)] = 2^63 versus a combination of 6 numbers with the highest being 55 (I think 55).

Anyways, the odds of winning the Megamillions jackpot is roughly 1:175,000,000 vs. the perfect bracket (calculated as 2^63 as shown why above): 1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Thus: 9223372036854775808 / 175000000 = 52,704,983,067
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions jackpot it 52 BILLION (not million) times greater than picking the perfect bracket.
i don't buy it ... someone will win the megamillions, no one has picked a perfect bracket ... but i'll wait til mike confirms your math ... LOL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.