Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Default Hoarders

My wife is watching Hoarders. Is it a sin to live in a dirty house? What about a house that is not kept clean?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Stump Rules!

Hoarders is a show about people with severe mental issues. That isn't a sin. As far as living in a house that's dirty...like normal dirty...hummmm...I guess it's a sin if it could make someone sick?

I'm pretty tidy and clean BTW

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Hoarders is a show about people with severe mental issues. That isn't a sin. As far as living in a house that's dirty...like normal dirty...hummmm...I guess it's a sin if it could make someone sick?

I agree with Michelle, those people have some deep psychological issue (pain) that is manifesting itself in this awful way. I've watched a few of the shows, but find it hardgoing.

I don't think the hoarding in these cases is the sin, but when others offer help so they can get their lives and families back, and they refuse, maybe that's where sin comes in, I'm not sure.

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-17-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Stump Rules!

Yeah, as much as I hate cats, I dont want to see them dragging those stiff dead ones out from behind the couch. Not to mention all the poop!
I'm going to be sick. I'm getting the heck outta this thread!
GOD help us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

I agree with Michelle, those people have some deep psychological issue (pain) that is manifesting itself in this awful way. I've watched a few of the shows, but find it hardgoing.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, as much as I hate cats, I dont want to see them dragging those stiff dead ones out from behind the couch. Not to mention all the poop!
I'm going to be sick. I'm getting the heck outta this thread!
GOD help us all!
Wait! Are we talking about "pet hoarding"? I thought Mark was talking about the other hoarding show.

You bringing up pet hoarding reminded me we didn't even talk about the health hazards involved in both of these types of hoarding! I just saw the preview of a new hoarding episode where the woman is cooking and roaches are crawling all over the pan! Horrible!

You're right, let's get out of here!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Wait! Are we talking about "pet hoarding"? I thought Mark was talking about the other hoarding show.
Bonnie, in one of the recent "extreme hoarder" shows they highlighted a man who had too many cats as well as mountains of clutter. The cleaning folks and psychologists found more than a dozen dead cats when they started disposing of his junk.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Stump Rules!

Regular hoarders have dead cats behind the couch too...and poop!

Now I'm outta here for sure!

Quote:

You bringing up pet hoarding reminded me we didn't even talk about the health hazards involved in both of these types of hoarding! I just saw the preview of a new hoarding episode where the woman is cooking and roaches are crawling all over the pan! Horrible!

You're right, let's get out of here!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 AM

I watch the show too, it's unbelievable! I think the show last week with the people living in a mountain of roaches and discarded depends (or "integrities" for PTM ;-) was the worst thing I've ever seen.

Not all of these folks have mental issues, IMO; extreme hoarding *is* a compulsive/obsessive behavior but some of those people are content to live like pigs.

There are those on the other spectrum who are obsessively cleaning their homes and themselves. That would make a kind of boring show, though.

I think it's a sin to put belongings ahead of family in one's priorities; this is the modus operandi with a great majority of these hoarders. Seeing what their compulsion is doing to their kids and spouses is heartbreaking. They also endanger their pet's health.

And there is that saying, after all..."Cleanliness is next to Godliness".

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I LOVE your avatar!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
County Mike

My friend turns on "Hoarders" when his wife starts letting things slip. After watching the show, she always goes on a cleaning spree. Smart man.