Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default High school senior kills cancer with nanotech, still can't legally drink

From Engadget.com:

Quote:

Ever ask yourself, "What am I doing with my life?" No? Well, a little existential crisis is in order then. Because while you and the rest of Team teen America were busy dressing like Gaga, dancing to the Bieber and playing Angry Birds, high school senior Angela Zhang was killing cancer. Yes, this 17-year old medical prodigy from Cupertino was just awarded the Siemens Foundation grand prize -- a $100,000 payday -- for her work "Design of Image-guided, Photo-thermal Controlled Drug Releasing Multifunctional Nanosystem for the Treatment of Cancer Stem Cells." It's certainly a mouthful, but this nanotech is what one fellow researcher's calling the "Swiss Army knife of cancer treatment," as her gold and iron-oxide nanoparticle does double duty delivering the drug salinomycin to a tumor site, in addition to aiding MRI and photoacoustic imaging. If that's not impressive enough, this real-life lady Doogie Howser's also won Intel's ISEF grand award in both 2010 and 2011 for other health science-related work. Sure, Angela might inadvertently fall into the overachiever category, but girlfriend definitely deserves to win that Prom Queen crown.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
County Mike

This is where our money priority should be. Not entertainers and athletes.

Imagine how much further we'd be if successful scientists were treated and paid like rock stars.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

Imagine how much further we'd be if successful scientists were treated and paid like rock stars.
I think our country would be better served by teaching kids that this girl might be the exception to the rule in America now, but she doesn't have to be. There is no reason that more American teenagers can't achieve just as much before they turn 18.

George Washington had mastered growing tobacco, stock raising and surveying by the time he was in his early teens. At 16, he traveled with a surveying party plotting land in Virginia’s western territory. At 17, he received an appointment as official surveyor of Virginia's Culpeper, Frederick and Augusta counties. He then went on to lead America to a hard fought victory in the Revolutionary War and became the first (and arguably still the greatest) President of the United States.

John Paul Jones began working as a cabin boy at the age of 12, and became first mate at the age of 19. He took command of his first ship at the age of 21. He then went on to help found the US Navy.

Ben Franklin was apprenticed as a printer at the age of 12 and, as a 17-year-old self-taught writer, began printing his own essays under the pen name of "Silence Dogood" that were so ingeniously written, his own family didn't realize he was the actual author. He started his own business at the age of 18. He went on to become on of our most famous Founding Fathers and a distinguished man of science.

I think one of the reasons that today's teenagers are so rebellious is because they are molly-coddled for too long. They have almost no responsibilities, no accountability, no sense of consequences, and they are taught that life is for just sitting back and having fun until they graduate college - because that's when all the adult responsibility kicks in, never before. However, I think kids need to be given responsibility and treated like adults as young as 13. Of course not every 13-year-old can handle it, but I know 21, 30, 40 and 50-year-olds who can't handle responsibility. Although, I think enough teenagers will not only be able to handle it, but actually thrive on it, and we will see a dramatic turn around in the work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit in this nation.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I think our country would be better served by teaching kids that this girl might be the exception to the rule in America now, but she doesn't have to be. There is no reason that more American teenagers can't achieve just as much before they turn 18.

George Washington had mastered growing tobacco, stock raising and surveying by the time he was in his early teens. At 16, he traveled with a surveying party plotting land in Virginia’s western territory. At 17, he received an appointment as official surveyor of Virginia's Culpeper, Frederick and Augusta counties. He then went on to lead America to a hard fought victory in the Revolutionary War and became the first (and arguably still the greatest) President of the United States.

John Paul Jones began working as a cabin boy at the age of 12, and became first mate at the age of 19. He took command of his first ship at the age of 21. He then went on to help found the US Navy.

Ben Franklin was apprenticed as a printer at the age of 12 and, as a 17-year-old self-taught writer, began printing his own essays under the pen name of "Silence Dogood" that were so ingeniously written, his own family didn't realize he was the actual author. He started his own business at the age of 18. He went on to become on of our most famous Founding Fathers and a distinguished man of science.

I think one of the reasons that today's teenagers are so rebellious is because they are molly-coddled for too long. They have almost no responsibilities, no accountability, no sense of consequences, and they are taught that life is for just sitting back and having fun until they graduate college - because that's when all the adult responsibility kicks in, never before. However, I think kids need to be given responsibility and treated like adults as young as 13. Of course not every 13-year-old can handle it, but I know 21, 30, 40 and 50-year-olds who can't handle responsibility. Although, I think enough teenagers will not only be able to handle it, but actually thrive on it, and we will see a dramatic turn around in the work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit in this nation.

Early America school system ( after the war about the time of Jefferson)actually took only the best of the best and the others were required to become trade apprentices. So Preachers, doctors, lawyers were hand picked and the rest were sent to shop class. Just imagine if we did that today. Kids who were bright and could excel were pushed. Kids who were Kardashians were sent to learn a career. The public school system today is severely flawed. This is why other countries beat us in science, math, etc etc.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Early America school system ( after the war about the time of Jefferson)actually took only the best of the best and the others were required to become trade apprentices. So Preachers, doctors, lawyers were hand picked and the rest were sent to shop class. Just imagine if we did that today. Kids who were bright and could excel were pushed. Kids who were Kardashians were sent to learn a career. The public school system today is severely flawed. This is why other countries beat us in science, math, etc etc.
I believe most kids in those days were home-schooled as well, not processed through a government-run public school system like cattle.

Ben Franklin was also a self-taught writer. So there is something to be said for ambition.

I think parents need to instill in their kids an intrinsic motivation for achievement. Simply upping the pay scale of certain jobs only creates extrinsic motivation.

For those who might not be familiar with the differences. When someone is extrinsically motivated to do something, then they are only doing it to receive some kind of external reward (like a big paycheck). When they are intrinsically motivated, they do it because they love it and the satisfaction they get from the action itself is all the reward they need.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
bradwright

Quote:

couldn't agree more.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

if you paid them too much, they would retire early .. keeping paying them just enough so they have to work for a while ...
Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'll bet her show isn't as successful as the idiot Kardashians and Jersey Shore.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'll bet her show isn't as successful as the idiot Kardashians and Jersey Shore.
What a joke all of the above idiots mentioned. It's ridiculous how many opportunities they have been given by being nasty pigs on reality shows..Makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
What a joke all of the above idiots mentioned. It's ridiculous how many opportunities they have been given by being nasty pigs on reality shows..Makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little.
So, you actually want to throw up in your mouth? That's weird.