Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default PETA blasts Nintendo for Mario's Tanooki suit

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a....aspx#comments

Quote:

They may be late to the party, but animal activist group PETA is turning its sights to Mario for his raccoon fur-loving ways.

Hot off the heels of Super Mario 3D Land's release in North America, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is blasting Nintendo for its famed plumber donning a raccoon suit. The group released a new Flash parody game for its "Mario Kills Tanooki" campaign called Super Tanooki Skin 2D.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposÚs show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA executive vice president Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-Up by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

The game, which is available to play on PETA's website, puts players in control of a skinned raccoon as they hunt down Mario wearing his tanooki suit.

"Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. We created our game to help inform people that in real life, Mario would be wearing the skin of an animal who was beaten, strangled or electrocuted, and it wouldn't give him any special powers other than the power of self-deception," PETA says.
Have the people at PETA just lost all grasp of reality? And doesn't creating a game where a raccoon can hunt down and kill Mario send the message that it's okay to kill people for the "crime" of wearing fur?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Wow, these guys are more than 2 decades too late. The Tanooki Suit came out in Super Mario Bros. 3, which I remember fully was in 1990.

By the way, did you know that "vegetarian" is just an old Indian word for "bad hunter?"
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Hasn't Mario been dressing up like a racoon since Mario 3?

He's also been stomping on the heads of turtles, dropping reptiles into fire, and fighting gorillas since the 1980's.

Go get em PETA...keep fighting the good fight.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Great responses.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51 AM
kevint13

He had a frog suit too....guess that one is ok in their eyes....or did I just give them another thing to be mad about?

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard....but since there were no Grand Theft Auto games this year to blame for something, I guess this will do.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
He had a frog suit too....guess that one is ok in their eyes....or did I just give them another thing to be mad about?

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard....but since there were no Grand Theft Auto games this year to blame for something, I guess this will do.
LOL, you should go on that site and mention it!

As if Nintendo is going to do anything for them. It's a Japanese company, they'll just say F U to them (I hope).
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 AM

I can't believe I used to be a member of PETA. There was actually a time when they cared about improving the lives of brutalized animals. Now they're just...bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
By the way, did you know that "vegetarian" is just an old Indian word for "bad hunter?"

AWESOME sig pic, BTW.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16