Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Crowbar

Default Taxes...

So I filed my taxes 2 days ago and had my return rejected because I thought that I had received $300 for my stimulus check. I guess it was $600 but the real issue is that when I put in $600 in, it dropped my return by $300. I think this is ridiculous. What was the point of the sitmulus check. Pay you some money now and try to get the economy jumpstarted for a short while and then when tax return season comes around take it right back and end up worse off than we were?!?

I guess I should have read the small print when I received my check last year....
Old 01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

That does suck! I knew there had to be a catch.

Last edited by Neezar; 01-24-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Preach

I'm not foing to file this year our Treasure Sec. didn't and look what it got him so I am following suit
Old 01-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Stump Rules!

It's like they asked you to see if you'd lie Thanks for the heads up Jeff!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Oddtodd76

well, if that is the case...Guess i won't be doing any home improvements this spring.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
kyle

OK Jeff now I'm sorry but this doesn't make ant sense to me buddy. I did my taxes a few days ago also and I got a much larger stimulas check last year it was $2100 (I do have 5 kids) There was a special box that went in when filing and they did not deduct any of it from my money im getting back and im still getting almost 5300 back and the IRS has already gave me an approval email excepting my return.
So I just don't know how you can be penalized for that when someone like me is not. That just doesn't make any sense to me. and i had H & R block do my stuff so it would be on them if they screwed it up ever.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Default The Taxman Is Here.... Don't Worry......

Okay people... I've done accounting & income taxes for 18 years...

The 2008 STIMULUS check is NOT something you have to pay back when you file your income taxes this year.

There is a section on your income tax return where you need to put what you received as a Stimulus payment in 2008. Remember that little piece of paper that told you what you were supposed to receive and it told you to keep it for your records? If not don't worry, here is a webpage so you can see what you got....

https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/IRSer...ectLanguage=en

That section of the return will need to be filled out by everyone.... And it's geared towards people that didn't receive their full Stimulus amount last year. For example if someone should have gotten $1200 and they only received $1085, they will use this line to get the other $115 they are entitled to as a REFUNDABLE refund on their return.

Jeff's mistake was he put he only received $300.... So his bottom line refund was $300 too much. The IRS is going to catch this a ton this year. I have to ask EVERY single person who walks through my door what they received (then I check it online before I finish their return).

While I have your attention.... Here's another CREDIT some people are going to need to look for this year, but you won't see it unless you read the instructions....

DO YOU PAY PROPERTY TAXES??? If you itemize, then you're already taking this... IF YOU DONT ITEMIZE, there is a credit that you will need to add to your STANDARD DEDUCTION for 2008..... Up to $500 for Single people, Up to $1,000 for a Married couple..... READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!! Call me at work if you need to.... 618-585-3061.

Last edited by EHLERZ5; 01-24-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Tattoo Artist

What if you got your stimulus amount direct deposited? I didnt get a little piece of paper telling me to keep it for my records. The website does not work for me either, I entered my info and it says it is not correct, even with my info sitting in front of me.