Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Bob Reilly Questions Motives Behind Zuffa's Accident Insurance

This guy is an absolute idiot.

Quote:
Mixed martial arts' most vocal critic in New York acknowledges that Zuffa's new accident insurance for its fighters is a positive move but won't go as far as saying it will help get MMA legalized in the Empire State.

MMA Fighting contacted Assemblyman Bob Reilly to discuss whether Zuffa's new insurance policy could help pave the way for the legalization of MMA in New York, and while he at first admitted to not hearing the news, he offered -- for perhaps the first time -- a compliment to the MMA promoters.

"I certainly wouldn't disparage that," Reilly said. "I think that's a good thing."

The praise ended there, though, as Reilly quickly questioned the motives behind the decision.

"What immediately came to my mind was, What's the need for insurance? Because advocates for MMA have been touting how safe this sport is and that no one is ever injured, and in fact, the testimony here is that the worst that ever happened was a broken arm. But I don't think that insurance is going to do anything for the very prevalent brain damage that fighters will suffer.

"I think what MMA should be doing is, instead of providing insurance for injuries, is to do away with injuries."

When I explained to Reilly that the UFC fighters were already covered for injuries suffered in fights and the new insurance would cover injuries, suffered in or outside of the gym, while training or not for an upcoming fight, Reilly added:

"It's certainly not a bad thing that they provide this insurance, but it really does little or nothing to solve the problem of what will happen to fighters financially, of the physical damage done to fighters or the fact that this violent sport begets violence in our society. So it does nothing to address the systemic problems of MMA.

"I think it's a positive thing, but I don't think it's a positive step. In the sense that it doesn't address the systemic problems of MMA. But it's certainly not a negative thing."

Prior to Monday's announcement, Zuffa provided a $100,000 policy to each of its fighter to cover injuries sustained during a fight. However, if a fighter injured themselves in training or at home, they were not covered by this policy. As of June 1, though, Zuffa will pay 100 percent insurance premiums for all its fighters and will assign a full-time employee to work on claims.

The insurance policy, which will be underwritten by Houston-based specialty insurance group HCC Insurance Holdings, will offer $50,000 to each fighter in worldwide, 24-hour medical-life insurance and dental coverage, as well as emergency medical evacuation to the fighters.

"Our athletes are some of the very best in the world and we've committed significant financial resources to provide them with insurance that complements the gold standard we have set for event-related coverage," UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta stated in a press release. "We're pleased to provide coverage that enables our athletes to seek and receive treatment for injuries sustained while preparing for bouts."

For more on the fight to legalize MMA in New York, click here.
Yes, of course, Mr. Reilly, we'll just do away with the injuries! Why didn't we think of that?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reilly
"What immediately came to my mind was, What's the need for insurance? Because advocates for MMA have been touting how safe this sport is and that no one is ever injured, and in fact, the testimony here is that the worst that ever happened was a broken arm. But I don't think that insurance is going to do anything for the very prevalent brain damage that fighters will suffer.
Basically.. how many people have died during a boxing match? How many have died during an MMA match?

How many people have died subsequent to their boxing/MMA match?

How many have died of injuries resulting of the effects of their boxing/MMA carrers?

Broken arms, legs, jaws, collarbones... take ten years of MMA and 10 years of boxing.. which sports has more of these?

Quote:
"I think what MMA should be doing is, instead of providing insurance for injuries, is to do away with injuries.".
I would hazzard a guess that a UFC fighter has less injuries a year than a high steel construction worker.. Name ANY profession that doesn't invole some kind of injuries.

Quote:
"It's certainly not a bad thing that they provide this insurance, but it really does little or nothing to solve the problem of what will happen to fighters financially, of the physical damage done to fighters or the fact that this violent sport begets violence in our society. So it does nothing to address the systemic problems of MMA.
what happens to fighter financially?? Errmmmm they don't have to pay so much for treatments due to injuries.. Does Bill need an "Insurance 101"?

Violence begets violence argument... hmm.. when was the last time you saw a boxing match Bill? What about soccer? Ever see the Yankees rush the field when a player gets hit?

Quote:
"I think it's a positive thing, but I don't think it's a positive step. In the sense that it doesn't address the systemic problems of MMA. But it's certainly not a negative thing."
And what are the specific "systemic problems of MMA"?? Fighters get hurt? Check out the Giants and Jets injury list for the past two seasons...

Fighters are SERIOUSLY hurt? How many KIDS died playing high school football... or died as a result of poorly trained coaches pushing them too hard and heat strokes became deadly??

What about the kid that was in a coma for 2 weeks after hitting his head on the gaol during a soccer game?? What state was that in Bill?

Is it MONEY?? The Almighty dollar? Many fighters are paid well.. others.. not so much.. can I see the payouts of the Manny Pacquiao card? how much were the "dark fighters" paid?

What specifically is the issue with MMA? Does the UFC just need to "bribe" you with more lobbiests?

Someone else said here.. "No worries.. it just means more chances to see MMA fights locally.. No need to drive/Fly to NY.." I totally agree... Hopefully Dana and Co will just give up soon... It would be nice to see MMA in NY.. but if not.. well.. the UFC is still getting bigger and bigger...
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM
KevinD

The point of this insurance is to cover the athletes when they are not fighting on fight night. Injuries we are talking about are the ones that occur in training, therefore rendering the fighter unable to fight and collect a paycheck.
This is a very big benefit for the fighter. If I am not mistaken, the UFC already had insurance inplace for injuries that happened in the cage on fight night. So this new insurance is like a supplemental insurance to that.
Bob Reilly is the poster child for greasy politician. Does anybody believe a word that comes out of this guys mouth??
Lets face it, if you play a sport seriously. injuries are going to happen...heck even golfers have issues with backs and knees...ask Jack Nicklaus and Tiger woods and a whole slew of others.

UFC > NY Legislature
UFC > Bob Reilly
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
atomdanger

*slaps forehead*
Old 05-13-2011, 05:20 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I have to agree with the idiot description!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I have to agree with the idiot description!
Ditto.

Leave it to a politician to give idiotic opinions on a topic he admitted not hearing about. I'd sure enjoy hearing him expound further on the "systemic problems of MMA"

The assemblyman must be from NY's Clown District.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 AM

Assemblyman Reilly at his last public appearance.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 AM

I wonder if he watched the beginning of the football season last year? Hockey is a big sport in New York isn't it?