Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 AM
que

Default My thoughts on the BJ vs Fitch fight

my thoughts

1. training with matt hughes helped. BJ's wrestling both offensively and defensively looked better than I've ever seen it before. as a big Penn fan, I found myself pleasantly surprised to see the much smaller penn take down the perdue national wrestling champion on multiple occasions. I definitely did NOT expect that

2. BJ just made 2 rounds of a fitch fight exciting. that is... amazing!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 AM
suntereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
my thoughts

1. training with matt hughes helped. BJ's wrestling both offensively and defensively looked better than I've ever seen it before. as a big Penn fan, I found myself pleasantly surprised to see the much smaller penn take down the perdue national wrestling champion on multiple occasions. I definitely did NOT expect that

fitch is not a national champ. his distinction is that of progressing from walk on to team captain. not trying to bash you, i know what you mean but us wrasslers take nationals serious
Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
suntereo

Quote:
my thoughts

and yes #2 is quite amazing!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
my thoughts

The takedowns surprised the heck out of me. Definitely had Hughes written all over it.
BJ won 1 and 2 and Fitch completely dominated 3rd. Draw was okay with me. Mainly I was glad neither guy took a loss but it will be interesting to see a rematch. will BJ be able to surprise him?

[
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
The takedowns surprised the heck out of me. Definitely had Hughes written all over it.
BJ won 1 and 2 and Fitch completely dominated 3rd. Draw was okay with me. Mainly I was glad neither guy took a loss but it will be interesting to see a rematch. will BJ be able to surprise him?
Matt said he thinks BJ had the first two also. I thought the 2nd was close but maybe the judges would give it to Fitch 'cause he reversed and was on top. And Fitch had the 3rd so I thought maybe it should be split decision for Fitch. After your and Matt's comments, I need to go back and rewatch that 2nd round again. Sometimes my memory fails me...unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
County Mike

I scored it 28-28 also. First two to Penn and 3rd was a 10-8 for Fitch.

It was nice to see some excitement in a Fitch fight. 3rd round was typical Fitch smother and pester with ZERO chance of finishing.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM

LOL one good takedown a failed RNC and the fact that Matt Hughes helped BJ Penn doesn't make it right for a draw.

Bj won the first no doubt but Fitch did the most damage in the second and gave BJ a good old "GSP" beating in the third.

This was easily Fitch fight.

BJ 10-9
Fitch 10-9
Fitch 10-8
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
LOL one good takedown a failed RNC and the fact that Matt Hughes helped BJ Penn doesn't make it right for a draw.

Bj won the first no doubt but Fitch did the most damage in the second and gave BJ a good old "GSP" beating in the third.

This was easily Fitch fight.

BJ 10-9
Fitch 10-9
Fitch 10-8
fights aren't scored on damage if so it woulda been 10-8 bj 10-10 draw 10-9 fitch or they'd be scoring it today by seeing whose face is more swollen

even then i'd think bj won cause a broken nose is way worse than getting slapped around in guard for one round

there's no "easy" to it, when you say that you lose credibility

you can't really say fitch beat the crap out of bj AND say fitch smothers.... fitch smothered and bj was never really in trouble.... fitch was in trouble in both first rounds

bj shoulda practiced some rnc's on matt
Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I scored it 28-28 also. First two to Penn and 3rd was a 10-8 for Fitch.

It was nice to see some excitement in a Fitch fight. 3rd round was typical Fitch smother and pester with ZERO chance of finishing.
how can you say fitch won the 3rd 10-8 and then say "3rd round was typical Fitch smother and pester with ZERO chance of finishing."????
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hughes View Post
how can you say fitch won the 3rd 10-8 and then say "3rd round was typical Fitch smother and pester with ZERO chance of finishing."????
I mean he had total control as far as position goes. BJ couldn't get up or improve his position, which is why I think it was good enough for a 10-8. However, Fitch wasn't throwing very hard strikes or going for submissions, so he had zero chance of actually finishing the fight. Maybe "zero" was a little exaggeration but you know what I mean.