Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 AM
atomdanger

Default Lorenzo comments on Fedor (and offers more proof Americans only care about money)

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=2801

Quote:
UFC Owner Lorenzo Fertitta recently did an interview with Tatame.com. Hereís his response as to why current WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko isnít in the UFC:

ďThatís a great question. I donít understand it too. Heís a great fighter, Iíd love to see him in the UFC. Weíve already offered a lot of money, more than what he has being paid in other events, so it doesnít make sense to me.Ē
A smart guy like Lorenzo all confused because somebody won't work for him,
and how odd, he even offered him more money.

lol

Makes me laugh.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Well, if Fedor's team will not offer an explanation as to why.. it would have me confused as well.

Saying "no".. isn't wrong.. but a reason would maybe open other doors..
Old 02-28-2009, 02:45 AM
lc87

I think he just wants to do what he wants and have fun. To me it seems like he just likes fighting and compeeting. And he probabally started with sambo that's why he wants to keep doing it. And from what I understand that's one of the main things that's keeping him away.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Josh

Fedor is a stud. If he loses 20 fights in a row and retires he will still go down as one of the best fighters in history simply for the fact that he was dominating everyone he fought yet still turned down the bigger money to keep doing what he wanted. I love it that there is still someone out there to tell Dana he can't have all the power. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy, kind of like when Luke resists the Dark Side.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Well, if Fedor's team will not offer an explanation as to why.. it would have me confused as well.

his team has already explained it numerous times. one of the main sticking points is he wants to fight Sambo for his country. another is the exclusivity of the contract and not being able to fight outside the UFC.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 AM
atomdanger

Quote:

Really?
They gave sherdog a copy of the contract the UFC offered and Fedor said plain and simple it was just too restricting.

The contract was an 8 (or 10?) fight deal, and if he went undefeated the UFC could extend for as long as they wanted.
Among other odd things...
Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Really?
They gave sherdog a copy of the contract the UFC offered and Fedor said plain and simple it was just too restricting.

The contract was an 8 (or 10?) fight deal, and if he went undefeated the UFC could extend for as long as they wanted.
Among other odd things...

Well.. The UFC, like other companies has to protect their brand.. so I can understand that...

but 8 fights does sound a bit long..
Old 02-28-2009, 04:20 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Well.. The UFC, like other companies has to protect their brand.. so I can understand that...

but 8 fights does sound a bit long..
I don't feel its fair to say he can't be released if he doesn't get beaten,
but they can drop him at any time if he loses? yeah....
(I wouldn't work somewhere that if I did well, they wouldn't allow me to quit,
but if I did not so well, they could fire me at any time)

I also forgot about the Sambo thing, he loves Sambo,
and they didn't want him competing in that.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Strange to think a rich guy like Lorenzo isn't more savvy about trying to get Fedor. I'm in sales for a living and sometimes, I literally ask tough customers, "What would it take to EARN your business?" Most people lay it out right in front of you. Sometimes, they won't buy at all, but at least you know it, but, it still doesn't keep me from going to their library every year and try again.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I don't feel its fair to say he can't be released if he doesn't get beaten,
but they can drop him at any time if he loses? yeah....
(I wouldn't work somewhere that if I did well, they wouldn't allow me to quit,
but if I did not so well, they could fire me at any time)

I also forgot about the Sambo thing, he loves Sambo,
and they didn't want him competing in that.

These are all good points but it is also the fact that M-1 Global wants to co-promote Fedor's fights with the UFC, and until they can work that out somehow, Fedor will never fight in the UFC regardless of money, sambo, or automatic contract extensions.