Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Chris F

Default Hit a Plateau- advice?

Well since last March I have dropped from 305lbs to about 250. My diet is under control but I have no time or money for a gym membership. Anyone have some advice for at home exercises other then the typical crunches, squats etc. I am thinking about getting back into the ring (pro wrestling) for a few matches to show my kids what I used to do before they were born. I really need to get down to about 220 to be in the shape i feel is good enough. Any advice would be great. I have not has a regular routine since cancer.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Dethbob

If you’re not afraid to try something retarded, ‘Biggest Loser’ for the Wii is actually not bad. I tried it after my wife got it for Christmas, and almost puked the first time. I started mixing it in once or twice a week and my run time and distance improved and I can lift with more stability.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM
rearnakedchoke

i'd pick up a set of resistance bands and do some work with them as they are not that expensive.. but if you want to get back into wrestling, i would go with some weights ... kettlbels are good, but they may not be cheap ...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Chuck

Two words : Muscle Confusion.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Have you had a rest since March? Might be time to take a 2-week break from your diet & training. Give the body a shift and your joints a rest. Even if you gain a little fat by enjoying your meals, the "new fat" will melt away in no time.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Two words : Muscle Confusion.
yeah I think this would help. Also the other advice was real good as well. I wish I had a Wii but that is a bit out of my price range. Thank you all very much
Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Dethbob

Make it fun! I scrounge the internet for fighter’s workout vids and incorporate the exercises into 5x5 workouts (five exercises for a minute each). I also check garbage sales for weights, heavy bags (see Matt’s Cage Fitness), and other stuff. Reinforce the rafters in your garage and put in a couple of ropes about shoulder width for pullups, dips, rows, and climbing. Keeping it cheap can really make it interesting.