Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Sonnen thinks he and Maia can beat Silva

Speaking in an interview with USA Today, Sonnen said:

“Oh, sure. There's a few guys that are in the hunt and that'll be looked at for main-event style matches. Thales Leites has been given his opportunity, so I imagine you'd have to look at him. Of course, the champion is Anderson.”

“In my opinion, these are the two best guys fighting right now, me and Maia. I think whoever wins this fight is the best middleweight in the UFC. I think I'm better than Anderson and I think Demian's better than Anderson; I think we would both beat him. For my money, this is the fight to figure out who's the best. But who's the best and who's the champion are two different deals.”

“How do you get a title shot? There's not a specific architecture in place, so to put yourself in position for those opportunities, beating a guy like Demian would certainly do it. And I think you have to give Thales Leites a lot of accommodations as well; he's won the appropriate matches to find himself in the finals. So there you go.”
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Josh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No way he beats Silva. Bisbing maybe. Maia I could see if the fight went his way.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

I think it's unwise to talk smack about beating Silva like Chael is doing here. I think he's building hype which is smart. but saying you can beat the champ and beating the champ are two different things.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
No way he beats Silva. Bisbing maybe. Maia I could see if the fight went his way.
Exactly.

If Maia can not get KOed, he will tool Anderson on the ground.
Of course, that is a big if, seeing how the fight starts standing and all.

But I've said since Maia came to the UFC that he has a huge shot at beating Anderson.
His "the art of BJJ" dvd set is incredible, and he has the titles to prove it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

GSP vs Maia at 185, then whoever wins gets Silva
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Josh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
GSP vs Maia at 185, then whoever wins gets Silva
Sounds good to me. Call Joe Silva.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i always get his secretary
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM
billwilliams70
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
GSP vs Maia at 185, then whoever wins gets Silva
I disagree. While GSP and Maia would make for an interesting fight, GSP should have no bearing on the 185 division.

Maia deserves a shot at Silva (and the title) way before GSP does because that's his division, his weight class. Similiar to Thiago Alves deserving a shot at GSP (and the title) before Penn did. What did Penn do @ 170 recently to warrant a title shot? Absolutely nothing, that's what. While it made the UFC (and both fighters) a boat-load of money, I really didn't see a point in having the match (just because it's what BJ wanted - I think that GSP will defend against anyone the UFC tells him to defend against).

Saying that the number one contender-ship goes to the winner of a match up between GSP and Maia, in a weight class that (to the best of my knowledge) GSP has made no claims to want to be a part of, is just ridiculous. It really does echo the UFC though in giving title shots (or number one contender-ships) to the popular fighters, the money makers, rather than the qualified individual, i.e. Rampage gets a shot at Evans (should he beat Jardine) before Machida's name is even mentioned.

The UFC should be

Later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
I disagree. While GSP and Maia would make for an interesting fight, GSP should have no bearing on the 185 division.

Maia deserves a shot at Silva (and the title) way before GSP does because that's his division, his weight class. Similiar to Thiago Alves deserving a shot at GSP (and the title) before Penn did. What did Penn do @ 170 recently to warrant a title shot? Absolutely nothing, that's what. While it made the UFC (and both fighters) a boat-load of money, I really didn't see a point in having the match (just because it's what BJ wanted - I think that GSP will defend against anyone the UFC tells him to defend against).

Saying that the number one contender-ship goes to the winner of a match up between GSP and Maia, in a weight class that (to the best of my knowledge) GSP has made no claims to want to be a part of, is just ridiculous. It really does echo the UFC though in giving title shots (or number one contender-ships) to the popular fighters, the money makers, rather than the qualified individual, i.e. Rampage gets a shot at Evans (should he beat Jardine) before Machida's name is even mentioned.

The UFC should be

Later.
calm down Bill, i wasn't being serious. although i would like to see both of them fight Silva at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

does Sonnen still think he can beat Anderson Silva
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.