Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
atomdanger

Default MMA Idiots

Ok, I couldn't think of a better thread title,
but we've all met one or two in our day, lets hear your horror stories.

Literally yesterday (Feb 5th, my 25th birthday actually, I am old as hell lol)
I was on the bus in my Tapout hoodie, some guy goes "You watch a lot of Tapout?"

and the rest went something like this.

Quote:
Him = "who is your favorite tapout guy?"

Me = "I don't know, punkass I guess"

Him = "is that his nickname? I like Rampage, and GSP"

Me = "Ohh I thought you meant the Tapout guys, the owners you know?"

Him = "doesn't Dana white own UFC?"

and some other random ramblings.
He was literally calling the sport "tapout".
He thought the sport was called tapout, wtf.
That was a first for me, I've had a lot of people call it UFC, but I explained to him the sport was MMA, UFC was an organization and Tapout was a clothing company.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
mikthehick

That made me laugh....

makes me think of those sad people who were Kimbo Slice fans......
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont really have any experiences like that....I mean, I can often be found wearing a Matt Hughes Hoody or something...but I dont own a lot of MMA clothes.

I treat myself every month though, so I am considering it soon...but this month I plan on buying some more MMA books to read instead...and next month I shall probably need a new memory stick.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
hizo64

Yes, all the time, I believe they all converge on the Sherdog forums.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I have a funny story from a couple of summers ago during Hillsboro's big Old Settlers fair. We were in the t-shirt booth and Matt was there and Robbie Lawler was hanging around that day, too. Matt was walking around and it was just Brian, Robbie and myself in the booth. Some guy walks up and starts looking at all the shirts and asks "So Matt Hughes fights for that UFC?" Brian says, "Yes, he does." Then the guy asks "Isn't that that fake wrestling stuff?" Robbie practically jumps out of his folding chair and exclaims, "WHAT?" Brian then tries to explain to the guy how it's not fake wrestling and Robbie argues with him a bit too; but you can see that the guy is not really buying it. Eventually he leaves, but it was just hilarious how Robbie seemed to be ready to leap across those table and tackle this guy to the ground right there in the middle of Main street, Hillsboro.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I have a funny story from a couple of summers ago during Hillsboro's big Old Settlers fair. We were in the t-shirt booth and Matt was there and Robbie Lawler was hanging around that day, too. Matt was walking around and it was just Brian, Robbie and myself in the booth. Some guy walks up and starts looking at all the shirts and asks "So Matt Hughes fights for that UFC?" Brian says, "Yes, he does." Then the guy asks "Isn't that that fake wrestling stuff?" Robbie practically jumps out of his folding chair and exclaims, "WHAT?" Brian then tries to explain to the guy how it's not fake wrestling and Robbie argues with him a bit too; but you can see that the guy is not really buying it. Eventually he leaves, but it was just hilarious how Robbie seemed to be ready to leap across those table and tackle this guy to the ground right there in the middle of Main street, Hillsboro.
hahaha thats funny
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I get a lot of that kind of stuff at work. Guys coming in with their wives/gfs wearing some sort of Tapout or Affliction shirt, I comment on them cuz really, it's hard to find things to make small talk over when you do what I do. Then the guy says something stupid and I end up having to end the conversation because I can't think of a nice way to tell them they are an idiot. I love it when they have Spike tuned in on the tv on a Fight Night though. I find all kinds of excuses to be in their room then.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Krupp

Dude maybe 10% of anyone at Liberty University knows what MMA really is. And I"m one of them. It's fun getting educate people on it though, becuase I'll put up a link of a fight or something and say "hey watch this!" or I'll just grab someone and demonstrate a choke or something...

so it's not too annoying though I've met my share of douchebags who are completely ignorant.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Only one guy in particular stands out to me. There's this douche at school who, at one time or another, has attempted the Chris Leben pink hair, the Arlovski beard, or the Big Tim sideburns/goatee. He also tried to tackle my buddy Alex in the weight room when Alex mentioned he had taken an intro BJJ class. This same guy has had his arm broken in BJJ class twice because he was too proud to tap. After 4 years of "full time training, 6hrs a day, bro", he's just now getting his blue belt.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I get a lot of that kind of stuff at work. Guys coming in with their wives/gfs wearing some sort of Tapout or Affliction shirt, I comment on them cuz really, it's hard to find things to make small talk over when you do what I do. Then the guy says something stupid and I end up having to end the conversation because I can't think of a nice way to tell them they are an idiot. I love it when they have Spike tuned in on the tv on a Fight Night though. I find all kinds of excuses to be in their room then.

~Amy
You Bad Girl
So, what do u do? what music u like? You like clubbin goin to bars? you like hangin with the fella's,ya married have a boyfriend as you stick ppl with needles..