Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Stump Rules!

Default White confirms Penn V Sanchez

UFC president Dana White on Thursday said a third UFC event was in the works for November, featuring a headlining bout between lightweight champion B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez.

What may really peak interest is that he said the event was neither a pay-per-view nor a Spike televised affair, lending credence to strong speculation of a long coveted network television deal.

“Wait and see boys... if I can pull this one off,” he said.

Penn last week confirmed that his next challenge would be against Sanchez, though he declined to name the time and place of the fight. Earlier this week, Penn and his representatives met with UFC officials for undisclosed contract negotiations.

Despite several reports that said UFC 105 – expected for Nov. 14 at the Manchester Evening News Arena – was the bout’s destination, White said Penn’s rumored dislike of fighting in the U.K. did not influence the decision to create a third event.

“B.J. doesn’t want to fight anywhere,” said White. “B.J. doesn’t want to fight in Las Vegas because he didn’t like the decision, and then when they called ‘The BJ Penn rule,’ now he likes Las Vegas and wants to fight. Dude, please, don’t even get me started.”

Rumors of an impending UFC deal with a major television network have been in heavy rotation this month. On a conference call announcing a deal between the promotion and the U.K. wing of ESPN, White said his company was currently fielding interest from one or possibly more network stations.

"We've never had more interest than right now," said White. "Obviously, I think all the hard work we've done over nine years and UFC 100 had a big part in it, too. I'm pretty confident we're gonna have a deal very, very soon. I like what I'm hearing now more than I ever did before."

Yet White declined to say how close a deal was.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9462&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 AM
que

diego and friends approve

Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Chuck

Love to see a network deal but I think that would be a pretty weak fight to debut the UFC to a network audience.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Love to see a network deal but I think that would be a pretty weak fight to debut the UFC to a network audience.
WHA?!

[
Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Miss Foxy

war PENN!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Awesome sauce! I seriously think this would be a great fight & I'd love to see it on network TV, it'd be fantastic.

Just a thought on the network TV situation: Dana has said for awhile that he'd love to revive the old Tusday Night Fights like boxing used to have, but that there's not enough talent for it. I have an idea: why not just do live TUF fights? Sure, it'd take 13 weeks to shoot instead of 6, but the fights & results would be live, you wouldn't have to worry about leaked spoilers & you could have a revolving door. Just run a series of tournaments, starting with LW & working up. Once you get the LWs cast, start auditioning for WWs, etc. The first episode you have the coaches pick who fights, then at the end of each fight, you have them pick the next week's fight. The guys get more time to prepare & the editors have 6 days to start working the footage into a show. It'd force them to spend more time focusing on training instead of house drama because they wouldn't be able to splice together a collage of antics for each show.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
WHA?!
I would have thought that a fight with Brock, GSP or AS would have been a bigger draw....
Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
i disagree

the LW division has always been the most exciting, and penn and sanchez are definitely the top 2 LW's right now. by the time the UFC is done hyping this fight, it won't be weak for a network audience, it will be strong. also, do you remember huerta vs guida and how well that did on free television? the numbers were incredible and people loved it. this will be even better than that
Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by que
diego and friends approve

LOL .. what was he thinking ...
Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
LOL .. what was he thinking ...