Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Default UFC CEO: Friends/Teammates must fight!

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/16/get-d...een-teammates/

Quote:
As the UFC expands, several major camps have distinguished themselves from the rest, building strong stables of fighters focused on proving themselves as top contenders in their respective divisions.

Camps like Xtreme Couture, Greg Jackson’s MMA, American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) and American Top Team, among others, have developed into MMA powerhouses. In the process, they’ve also developed strong ties between teammates who, more often than not, refuse to fight one another.

Thus far, this hasn’t presented very many problems, except perhaps for Diego Sanchez, who as a welterweight left Greg Jackson’s camp when it started a partnership with welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. From Sanchez’s perspective, he was gunning for St. Pierre’s belt and felt he couldn’t train with his would-be opponent.

But beyond that, several fighters have openly stated that they refuse to fight teammates; however, it may only be a matter of time before they will have to, according to UFC Co-owner and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Fertitta recently told Sherdog.com that he’s not in the business of trying to make sure teammates won’t fight teammates. “Look, at the end of the day, we’re here to see fighters, we’re here to see fights,” said Fertitta. “If teammates don’t want to fight, then they’re gonna have to go somewhere else. We don’t put up with that stuff.”
I respect loyalty as a virtue; however, as a fan, I think that the fighters should be professionals and fight anyone the UFC puts in front of them. It is a real issue in the welterweight division with Swick, Koscheck and Fitch being from the same team. I think most people would rank those 3 fighters in the top 10 of the UFC welterweight division. I would also love to see an Anderson Silva vs. Machida match-up; I don't care about an Evans vs. Jardine fight, to be honest.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
eric84

Definitely think people should be willing to fight teammates. I understand where they are coming from, but I completely agree, be professional about it. Other pro's play against their friends, and your in the sport of beating people up, so it shouldn't be personal. Would it be wrong to say I want the Diaz brothers to go at it?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84
Definitely think people should be willing to fight teammates. I understand where they are coming from, but I completely agree, be professional about it. Other pro's play against their friends, and your in the sport of beating people up, so it shouldn't be personal. Would it be wrong to say I want the Diaz brothers to go at it?
No, it would be oh, so right!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
But beyond that, several fighters have openly stated that they refuse to fight teammates; however, it may only be a matter of time before they will have to, according to UFC Co-owner and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.

Fertitta recently told Sherdog.com that he’s not in the business of trying to make sure teammates won’t fight teammates. “Look, at the end of the day, we’re here to see fighters, we’re here to see fights,” said Fertitta. “If teammates don’t want to fight, then they’re gonna have to go somewhere else. We don’t put up with that stuff.”
How many times have you heard of fighters turning down fights? And not because of being friends or whatever! As far as I know fighters have always had the option to turn down a fight.

I don't agree with this!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Matt back in the MFS days would not fight teammates.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Matt back in the MFS days would not fight teammates.
That's why Robbie had to go bye-bye (plus he had a losing skid).
Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
atomdanger

Agreed.

This isn't a team sport, sorry kiddo's.

AKA has 3 WW's, its insane.
I think they should try to avoid it, and not make it happen often,
but eventually it is going to have to happen.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Krupp

If I was a professional fighter, I'd actually enjoy fighting my friends. I had to do it all the time during wrestling anyways..and I've gotten in fights with my brother before, so I don't see what the problem is. It just gives you bragging rights over your friend later if you win, and you can openly make fun of him during the next drinking session....
Old 07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
If I was a professional fighter, I'd actually enjoy fighting my friends. I had to do it all the time during wrestling anyways..and I've gotten in fights with my brother before, so I don't see what the problem is. It just gives you bragging rights over your friend later if you win, and you can openly make fun of him during the next drinking session....

Wrestling a friend and beating a friends face into hamburger are not the same thing, sorry.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Krupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
Wrestling a friend and beating a friends face into hamburger are not the same thing, sorry.
Maybe you're right, but at the same time, what's the difference between sparring with a friend in practice and then doing it in a real match? I'm just saying man, it shouldn't be a big deal to these guys. They had to know eventually if they all did well in the UFC there was a chance down the line where they'd have to fight each other. They knew what they were getting into.