Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Nearly All My Professors Are Democrats

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0713/p09s02-coop.html

Quote:
Eugene, Ore. - When I began examining the political affiliation of faculty at the University of Oregon, the lone conservative professor I spoke with cautioned that I would "make a lot of people unhappy."

Though I mostly brushed off his warning assuming that academia would be interested in such discourse I was careful to frame my research for a column for the school newspaper diplomatically.

The University of Oregon (UO), where I study journalism, invested millions annually in a diversity program that explicitly included "political affiliation" as a component. Yet, out of the 111 registered Oregon voters in the departments of journalism, law, political science, economics, and sociology, there were only two registered Republicans.

A number of conservative students told me they felt Republican ideas were frequently caricatured and rarely presented fairly. Did the dearth of conservative professors on campus and apparent marginalization of ideas on the right belie the university's commitment to providing a marketplace of ideas?

In my column, published in the campus newspaper The Oregon Daily Emerald June 1, I suggested that such a disparity hurt UO. I argued that the lifeblood of higher education was subjecting students to diverse viewpoints and the university needed to work on attracting more conservative professors.

I also suggested that students working on right-leaning ideas may have difficulty finding faculty mentors. I couldn't imagine, for instance, that journalism that supported the Iraq war or gun rights would be met with much enthusiasm.

What I didn't realize is that journalism that examined the dominance of liberal ideas on campus would be addressed with hostility.
Quote:
A professor who confronted me declared that he was "personally offended" by my column. He railed that his political viewpoints never affected his teaching and suggested that if I wanted a faculty with Republicans I should have attended a university in the South. "If you like conservatism you can certainly attend the University of Texas and you can walk past the statue of Jefferson Davis everyday on your way to class," he wrote in an e-mail.
Quote:
As we hammered away at the issue, one of his colleagues with whom he shared an office grew visibly agitated. Then, while I was in mid-sentence, she exploded.

"You think you're so [expletive] cute with your little column," she told me. "I read your piece and all you want is attention. You're just like Bill O'Reilly. You just want to get up on your [expletive] soapbox and have people look at you."

From the disgust with which she attacked me, you would have thought I had advocated Nazism. She quickly grew so emotional that she had to leave the room. But before she departed, she stood over me and screamed.
It has been quite a while since I was in a college classroom. I wish I could say that I stood up to my professors; however, I kept my mouth shut to get a good grade. You can't win. If you confront them on their bias, you will get a bad grade and it will hurt your future career.

What has been your experience of political bias on campus?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

I've always noticed a huge liberal bias on college campuses. I've had a few professors who were intelligent enough to be conservatives, but for the most part they're just brainwashed liberals who believe it's their duty to indoctrinate another generation of Americans into the typical liberal mindset.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0713/p09s02-coop.html

It has been quite a while since I was in a college classroom. I wish I could say that I stood up to my professors; however, I kept my mouth shut to get a good grade. You can't win. If you confront them on their bias, you will get a bad grade and it will hurt your future career.

I left school due to a dispute with a teacher actually. I'm in the process of making my way back.

far left Liberals ironically are the most sensitive and intollerant people I've ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.

Going to college anywhere but the south more then guarantee's you to have a good 75% liberal faculty.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Black Mamba

So far with my school experience I have been lucky, no extreme left or right professors. With the exception of my last English teacher who I can make a guess was a moderate or a conservative due to her stance on Vietnam. I haven't had a history class yet so I'm sure I'll bump into a nut.

Quote:
Yet, out of the 111 registered Oregon voters in the departments of journalism, law, political science, economics, and sociology, there were only two registered Republicans.
I wonder if he were to expand his research into other departments such as mathematics, engineering, physics....if he would get similar results. As someone who is involved in both the engineering and biological sciences at my college, I have to say the professors do a good job of keeping their political affliations under their belt.

*Edit*

I did forget to mention I haven't reached upper division status yet with either major so the nutty biology or computer engineering teachers may come eventually.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
So far with my school experience I have been lucky, no extreme left or right professors. With the exception of my last English teacher who I can make a guess was a moderate or a conservative due to her stance on Vietnam. I haven't had a history class yet so I'm sure I'll bump into a nut.

I wonder if he were to expand his research into other departments such as mathematics, engineering, physics....if he would get similar results. As someone who is involved in both the engineering and biological sciences at my college, I have to say the professors do a good job of keeping their political affliations under their belt.
That is a good point. I have seen numbers for the "hard" sciences and they aren't as bad, although Democrats still greatly outnumber Republicans (sorry, I don't have the numbers on me)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba

*Edit*

I did forget to mention I haven't reached upper division status yet with either major so the nutty biology or computer engineering teachers may come eventually.
Hey what makes you think history profs are nuts? I have taught history at community colleges am I a nut? Usually the history teachers are moderates to centrist lefties. The liberal whack jobs tend to be poly sci and literature.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man

We had a militant Feminist English teacher in our college and, unfortunately, she taught one of the low level courses that every student needed for their degree. So, in order to pass her class and get a good grade, you had to agree with her idiotic Feminist ideologies.

Of course, all of the men in the class were smart enough to see through her stupidity and fortunately most of the women in the class were smart enough to realize she was full of crap as well.

Whenever a male student dared to speak up and disagree with her brainwashed liberal mind, she would always say something like, "What do you think, girls?" and try to rally all the women in the class together to make the man look stupid. After the first couple of weeks in the semester, the women weren't falling for it anymore. Because they realized just how idiotic and stupid Feminism really is.

The good news is that the college was forced to cut back on teachers because of low student enrollment and she was one of the first professors forced to seek other employment (probably bagging groceries at Albertsons).
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
We had a militant Feminist English teacher in our college and, unfortunately, she taught one of the low level courses that every student needed for their degree. So, in order to pass her class and get a good grade, you had to agree with her idiotic Feminist ideologies.

Of course, all of the men in the class were smart enough to see through her stupidity and fortunately most of the women in the class were smart enough to realize she was full of crap as well.

Whenever a male student dared to speak up and disagree with her brainwashed liberal mind, she would always say something like, "What do you think, girls?" and try to rally all the women in the class together to make the man look stupid. After the first couple of weeks in the semester, the women weren't falling for it anymore. Because they realized just how idiotic and stupid Feminism really is.

The good news is that the college was forced to cut back on teachers because of low student enrollment and she was one of the first professors forced to seek other employment (probably bagging groceries at Albertsons).
LOL ... in my final year, i had to take one last elective course to graduate .. the last course availalble was Women in Society .. the first day i went, there was a class of about 200 and I think i was the fourth male in the class ... in the smaller tutorial class, i ended up being late and the only seat was left right at the front ... she saw my wedding band, asked me all these questions, i told her i was married, 23, a two year old, i cook cuz i like to, do my share of the diaper changing and feedings ..LOL .. she was digging to catch me in something ... i never attended one class after that except the mid-term exam and final .. didn't want to bother ... she even made me sit at the front for the exams ... lol ... when i went to check the final marks I lol when i saw that i had a rank of 4th highest mark on the final ... the moral of the story? it takes a good man to know about women in society ...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Chris F

I had big time trouble in college with profs shoving their politics and me shving back. In one class I had a 97% on papers and test but got a B- for the class. He said I did not talk enough and was not open wiht my opinions enough. Now you all know I am more then free with my opinions. Come to find out when I graduated he confessed and siad he was offended by my comment that democrats were enabling the welfare mentality of this nation ever since FDR. Also I wrote a Op-Ed for the paper at school saying why sexual oreitation should not be included in the discrimination policy and that the federal guideline were enough. So anytime you go to acadami consider yourself a minority if you have any conservative views at all. Even the College Republican hated me because most were log cabin republicans.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

I can't stand fembots!! My daughter had a teacher like that and I told her to back off on her ways I don't want a future lesbo for a daughter!!