Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Max

Default ALVES SAYS WEIGHT CUT IS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE

As of 2 p.m. PST on Tuesday, UFC welterweight contender Thiago Alves said he weighed 183 lbs.

The 25 year-old American Top Team product meets his biggest opportunity on Saturday when he faces reigning champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100.

With thirteen pounds to go, Alves looked relieved, and the UFC felt the same.

Thats really good for me, he told MMAWeekly. Usually I get here (at) 188, 189, and Im amazed with myself. 183, Im like whoa. Everybody from the UFC was like, wow, I cant believe it.

Alves said a hellish training camp put him on track.

Ive just been doing what Im supposed to do more professionally, he said. No cheating on myself, things like that. Before, (it was like), ah, Im going to skip one day. It would always catch up with me later on. Id leave everything to the last minute.

The only remaining challenge is the wait until Satur.

Its gonna be a war, he said. Georges St. Pierre, hes the champion, but Im going to knock him out. Its my time.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM
rearnakedchoke

good to see that he should make weight ... too bad he is gonna get whooped ... his time will come and go on saturday and he will have to work his way back up ...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Crisco

I'm still calling he doesn't make it.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
wanna do a sig bet on if he makes weight or not?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
wanna do a sig bet on if he makes weight or not?
I'll sig bet he gets his ass kicked?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Max

Quote:
I'll sig bet he gets his ass kicked?
what counts as getting his ass kicked? a loss is not always getting your ass kicked.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
nah, he'll make weight .. he has only had to cheat once to make weight and the other time he didn't make weight (against matt) he was injured .. the fact that he didn't make weight is not what bothered me, the fact that he pulled a pussy move and knew he wasn't going to try to cut weight and didn't say anything ... he let matt continue with his weight cut cuz he knew it would give him an advantage ... while he was training or whatever, matt was dehydrating himself ... that's a punk move .. if he went to dana when he got to england and said he could make weight, could we make it a catch weight fight, that would have been more respectable ... don't matter though ..GSP will beat him
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Hughes_GOAT

he's only missed weight once in 19 fights he'll be fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
nah, he'll make weight .. he has only had to cheat once to make weight and the other time he didn't make weight (against matt) he was injured .. the fact that he didn't make weight is not what bothered me, the fact that he pulled a pussy move and knew he wasn't going to try to cut weight and didn't say anything ... he let matt continue with his weight cut cuz he knew it would give him an advantage ... while he was training or whatever, matt was dehydrating himself ... that's a punk move .. if he went to dana when he got to england and said he could make weight, could we make it a catch weight fight, that would have been more respectable ... don't matter though ..GSP will beat him
He wasn't hurt. His camp came out with "he had a hurt foot" after the fact because there had to be some excuse, but I was there and saw him many times. His "hurt foot" didn't stop him from training, fighting ... or going to the clubs afterward. Again, no MMA fighter is ever at 100%. A professional could have cut the weight ... even with a "hurt foot".
Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
He wasn't hurt. His camp came out with "he had a hurt foot" after the fact because there had to be some excuse, but I was there and saw him many times. His "hurt foot" didn't stop him from training, fighting ... or going to the clubs afterward. Again, no MMA fighter is ever at 100%. A professional could have cut the weight ... even with a "hurt foot".
I never believed his foot was hurt. It's good to hear it from someone who was actually there. Hopefully, he will make weight and we'll see a good fight. I really don't care for GSP or Alves, but I'm going to root for Alves. I figure if he wins he probably won't keep the title long and I want to see Georges knocked off.