Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 AM
atomdanger

Default UFC seeks greater control of fighter sponsorships

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13828/mmaj...onsorships.mma
Quote:
Traditionally, UFC fighters have been able to cut their own sponsorship deals with companies for the rights to their fight shorts, T-shirts and caps they wear before and after bouts. These agreements, which can often land regional and local companies on fight gear, provide an additional source of revenue to supplement fighters' UFC contracts. The UFC has policed this practice, preventing some sponsorships from happening, but it has not owned the deal-flow process.

However, the days of fighters' managers cutting those deals appear to be ending.
Sad days for mid and lower level guys in the company,
they really cannot afford that.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
As another option, the UFC also is considering taking a page from the music industry by establishing "360-degree contracts" with its athletes. As first reported by MMAPayout.com, these contracts would give the UFC access to a portion of all dollars generated by fighters outside of the octagon.
I can see where the things the UFC is doing makes good business sense for them, but to me, it just looks like greed. How is this good for the sport and most importantly the fighters'? If one organization has ALL the control (like a monopoly) and ALL the power, how can the fighters protect themselves and their interests?

This just doesn't seem right!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Jason 16

It allmost seems like if your a good mid level or a good new fighter go to strikeforce or something non zufa controled
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Mac

Damn , The ufc is looking more and more like 1940's germany with every passing day.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 AM

You put things so well, Mac.

What does this mean for guys like Matt who work so hard for his sponsors and his deals? I don't think Dana and the brothers should get to profit from that.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:03 AM
logrus

Zuffa better be very careful, this short of thing led to the formation of Unions, if that happens, I don't think Zuffa will survive.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 AM
TENNESSEAN

There are a lot of similarities in the UFC and Nascar. For any certain brand to sponsor a car in nascar I beleave they have to pay nascar first. I could be wrong but I beleave that's right. I could see the UFC using nascar as a business model. It sucks for the fighters right now but over time this could cause the spot on a shirt in the octagon to be more valuable. Just a thought I'm not defending the UFC on this one.
I would like to be a fly on the wall when Dana has to explain this one to his fighters.

Last edited by TENNESSEAN; 07-01-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Maldonado136

has anyone heard about how if any ufc fighter participates in the ea sports mma game they will be forever banned from the ufc?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN
There are a lot of similarities in the UFC and Nascar. For any certain brand to sponsor a car in nascar I beleave they have to pay nascar first. I could be wrong but I beleave that's right. I could see the UFC using nascar as a business model. It sucks for the fighters right now but over time this could cause the spot on a shirt in the octagon to be more valuable. Just a thought I'm not defending the UFC on this one.
I would like to be a fly on the wall when Dana has to explain this one to his fighters.
Nascar teams charge sponsors to place a logo on their car, the price is 5k and up too 500k per race. Though I would imagine teams and sponsors work out deals for year long sponsorship.

Nascar charges a fee for a Team to compete to be able to race on race day. Not only that but Nascar charges everything from inspections, crews and so on. The total I think I heard at one time was 140k, but I can't remember the numbers they were spitting, I just remember a sponsor less car running the races trying to pick up sponsors for the coming season.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN
I was thinking the exact same thing about NASCAR. They take a cut of the racers' sponsorship, I'm not sure of the percentage though. It sounds like the UFC wants to take all the money themselves, rather than taking a cut of the fighters' sponsorship earnings, that's BS. I think the UFC should reserve the right to accept or deny sponsorship, as they are the parent company, it's that way in NASCAR, but they shouldn't be taking the full cut (or so it seems), bur rather, a small cut, that's fair.

Personally, I don't think seeing condomdepot.com written on the fighters asses is a positive reflection on the UFC or MMA in general.