Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Red face Quandry



You probably all know that I worked for two years as a part time Verger in Saint Paul's Cathedral. You probably also know that I applied to York Minster, to replace a Verger who threw himself from the Westend Towers when I came to the end of my time in Saint Paul's and got turned down because I was sabotaged by my political enemies

You might know if you were on here pre the jump that I reapplied for York within the last two years and they didnt even give me an interview this time. You might have heard I had planned on Petitioning Bristol Cathedral, and Carlisle Cathedral but changed my mind. You might also know I made the short list for The Cathedral of Bath and Wells. I also offered my services to The Dean of Lincoln who has kept me on the books incase of vacancies...he was an allie of mine at SPC during my Tenure

What you probably didnt know is that a position has just become vacent at Sailsbury Cathedral...I dont know if I should apply or not. Sailsbury is the Final Premier if you dont include Westminster Abbey, right after Durham, SAint Paul's, York and Canterbury
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

What exactly is your "quandry" about applying at Salisbury? Are you afraid you won't get it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
What exactly is your "quandry" about applying at Salisbury? Are you afraid you won't get it?
The problem is like this. I got badly burned by the church and although I loved to work in the Cathedral I felt that GOD had kinda barred me from that work again.

I wouldnt apply to any Cathedral, it would need to be large and within a big city for me to want to go. Sailsbury is sorta like that...half of me doesnt want to apply if its just a waste of time and they are gonna reject me...half of me doesnt want to apply because ive started to get my self established up here...and its not really the right financial time to change jobs if you ain certain

...but part of me would really like to give up and just go back into the Church again
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
The problem is like this. I got badly burned by the church and although I loved to work in the Cathedral I felt that GOD had kinda barred me from that work again.

I wouldnt apply to any Cathedral, it would need to be large and within a big city for me to want to go. Sailsbury is sorta like that...half of me doesnt want to apply if its just a waste of time and they are gonna reject me...half of me doesnt want to apply because ive started to get my self established up here...and its not really the right financial time to change jobs if you ain certain

...but part of me would really like to give up and just go back into the Church again
well Tyburn i know first hand as many do on this site that making a life changing decision can be very trying at the best of times but my advice to you would be this,
ask yourself where you would be happier,,in your current situation or the one that has presented its self to you,,

if it turns out to be the latter then by all means apply for the position and dont worry about rejection,,we all have faced rejection in our lives and although it may be unpleasant it really is something that helps to build character in all of us,,

do what makes you happy,,i dont think enough of us do that anymore,

good luck with what ever you decide.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
The problem is like this. I got badly burned by the church and although I loved to work in the Cathedral I felt that GOD had kinda barred me from that work again.

I wouldnt apply to any Cathedral, it would need to be large and within a big city for me to want to go. Sailsbury is sorta like that...half of me doesnt want to apply if its just a waste of time and they are gonna reject me...half of me doesnt want to apply because ive started to get my self established up here...and its not really the right financial time to change jobs if you ain certain

...but part of me would really like to give up and just go back into the Church again
Well, remember, Nathan's post about "self-esteem" how they used the example of the guy who tries out for football, but isn't picked. How he would probably have been third-string and never played so he should look at it that he should try something else that might turn out to be something he is really good at instead of feeling "rejected". In other words, maybe football wasn't the right thing for him and there is something else he was meant to do more.

Instead of looking at it like God "barred" you from the Church, maybe you should look at it like it wasn't meant for you to be there at that particular time (no matter how it came about--"politics", etc...). God may have been "protecting" you from being in a bad situation with people who would only try to make your life miserable. I believe things happen or don't happen for a reason in our lives. Search your heart, Dave, and really think about the pros and cons of applying and possibly getting this job and how it would affect/change things at this point in your life.

For example, would you have to give up something you really enjoy doing or that you're really good at in order to take this job and would it be worth it to you--the trade-off. But if you do decide to apply and they don't pick you, don't think of it as them "rejecting" you (I know it's hard not to look at it like that), but rather that that isn't where you're meant to be at this time and maybe God needs you somewhere else fulfilling His purpose. Ask God to put you where He needs you, Dave; who knows, it might be the very place "you" are wanting to be.

God Bless!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Well, remember, Nathan's post about "self-esteem" how they used the example of the guy who tries out for football, but isn't picked. How he would probably have been third-string and never played so he should look at it that he should try something else that might turn out to be something he is really good at instead of feeling "rejected". In other words, maybe football wasn't the right thing for him and there is something else he was meant to do more.

Instead of looking at it like God "barred" you from the Church, maybe you should look at it like it wasn't meant for you to be there at that particular time (no matter how it came about--"politics", etc...). God may have been "protecting" you from being in a bad situation with people who would only try to make your life miserable. I believe things happen or don't happen for a reason in our lives. Search your heart, Dave, and really think about the pros and cons of applying and possibly getting this job and how it would affect/change things at this point in your life.

For example, would you have to give up something you really enjoy doing or that you're really good at in order to take this job and would it be worth it to you--the trade-off. But if you do decide to apply and they don't pick you, don't think of it as them "rejecting" you (I know it's hard not to look at it like that), but rather that that isn't where you're meant to be at this time and maybe God needs you somewhere else fulfilling His purpose. Ask God to put you where He needs you, Dave; who knows, it might be the very place "you" are wanting to be.

God Bless!
thats exactly what i was trying to say,,how come it sounds so much better when you say it Bonnie?

anyway what i'm trying to say here is,,very well said.

And May God Bless you to Bonnie,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
thats exactly what i was trying to say,,how come it sounds so much better when you say it Bonnie?

anyway what i'm trying to say here is,,very well said.

And May God Bless you to Bonnie,
Thank you, Brad. I saw your post after I submitted mine and DID notice we were thinking along the same track.

You know what they say, "great minds think alike"!

God Bless!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.