Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Country Breakfast

Default BJ Penn Cuts Short UFC Priemtime Taping

Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I heard that it was because he felt that Dana White had been rude about his training regieme or something.

Finally, BJ Penn has taken a stand for something he believes in. I didnt watch the primetime programme because I couldnt find it on Setanta, so I dont know what was said...but the way they laud over GSP now...and the way they sorta dont with Penn so much anymore...if they were rude I couldnt understand him telling them to stick it

although...I would have thought they would have got him to sign something to ensure they HAVE a primetime slott.

I dunno...if anyone has any clarity on this they should speak up ;)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
rearnakedchoke

BJ is a drama queen .... he better get this attention, cuz his mystique is going to be destroyed in just a couple of weeks
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

He's probably pissed that they showed the bit of him leaving for vacation!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Hughes_GOAT

he wrote me on Myspace about this.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
He's probably pissed that they showed the bit of him leaving for vacation!
he lives in Hawaii...where exactly was he going on vacation to??
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
BJ is a drama queen .... he better get this attention, cuz his mystique is going to be destroyed in just a couple of weeks
his mystique is not going to be destroyed. He really has nothing to lose going into the GSP fight. If this fight is at all competitive it makes BJ look even better.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
his mystique is not going to be destroyed. He really has nothing to lose going into the GSP fight. If this fight is at all competitive it makes BJ look even better.
and if he really gets whipped?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Hughes_GOAT

GSP has all the pressure. he's already beaten Penn and now he has to prove it wasn't a fluke. if he fails, Penn gets the belt. Penn will have earned more in victory this time around than GSP did when he won.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
and if he really gets whipped?
GSP has killed his last 3 opponents so it really will not look bad if BJ gets whipped. Once again he is fighting at a weight class above his natural weight class. He is going up against the most well rounded MMA fighter ever (according to some people) he is going up against a guy who walks on water (or so I have been told). BJ should not last more than 1 min.